Chapter 25 - Without a Car?

"My car!" Jessica yelled. "What happened to it?"

Brian scratched his head. "Stolen? Towed away, maybe." He knew he was stating the obvious, but wasn't sure what else he could say.

"By who!?"

Brian looked down, shaking his head.

Fuming, Jessica picked up a rock and hurled it at the treehouse. It bounced off with a dull thud that echoed in the distance.

I believe she is angry.

Brian frowned. Thanks, TV. He had never seen her like this before. He needed to do something, and fast. His survival instinct suggested using the device to disappear, but he knew that was a bad idea.

Then a lightbulb lit up in his head. He could try to call a Taxi! He whipped out his phone—wondering if he could even get a Taxi all the way out there—but there was no signal.

Brian put the phone back in his pocket and sighed. "You know what, there was that nice little town a few miles back," he said, inwardly cringing as he remembered the weird signs they had seen. "Why don't we start walking that way?"

Jessica sighed. "Okay. Whatever."

They walked along in silence for a while, cornfields on either side of them. Brian was the first to speak. "Hey, I'm sorry about your car. If I hadn't suggested we go inside the Cafeteria, this wouldn't have happened."

Jessica made a face. "It's not your fault. I'm just frustrated because—" They both turned at the sound of a vehicle approaching from behind.

It appeared to be some kind of big truck. Brian's first thought was that it might be someone coming after them, but that fear quickly dissipated as the vehicle neared. The truck was, or had been at one time, bright yellow, and was now mostly the dark brown color of rust. The vehicle slowed to a stop beside them. Its bed was filled with pumpkins.

The driver lowered his window and spat out dark fluid. "Hey there," he said, breaking into a big smile that showed all his teeth (it looked like there were three). "You two need a lift?"

Brian was about to say no thanks, but Jessica quickly said, "Sure!"

The man spat again. "Whereabouts ya headed?"

Brian spoke up. "Just into town. Thanks."

"Well, that's where I'm goin'. Hop in!" They hopped in.

Jessica sat next to the window, and Brian sat between the man and Miss Emma Jean, his obese, fluffy cat.

"Name's Jed," the man said, glancing at them.

Brian tried to say his name, but Emma Jean's tail interfered, and the last part got cut off.

"Well, hullo, Bra. And you, Miss?"

"Jessica," she said, smirking at Brian.

Brian sighed.

"Pleased to meet you both," Jed said, bobbing his head. "What brings you to our little slice o' paradise?"

Brian coughed. "Business trip," he said, shooing the cat's tail away.

Jed shot Brian a knowing look and winked.

Brian gave a nervous nod and looked out the window.

The first few minutes of the drive was spent listening to Jed talk about his farm, his cows, and his kids. Brian wondered if he had discussed them in order of importance.

Jessica seemed to be enjoying the ride. She asked Jed several farm-related questions along the way. Brian was glad she was carrying the conversation. He was busy just trying to breathe something other than cat tail.