Chapter 42 - Back at the Bunker

Watkins escorted Brian and Jessica through the back door of the gas station.

When they entered the elevator, Brian took a good look at the button panel. Yep, looks exactly like the one in the Gateway, he thought. Giving in to a sudden urge, he quickly jabbed the button for floor 21. Nothing happened. He mashed it a few more times, just to be sure. Still nothing.

"Are you done?" Watkins said, looking at him, stone-faced.

"Just wondering what the other buttons are for," Brian said, shrugging.

Watkins grunted, pressing the "-21" button.

When the elevator doors opened, Watkins led them down the long, white hallway.

Still there, TV?

I am here.

Brian chewed on his lower lip. So, you were right about the new chip. Interesting.

Watkins stopped, unlocking a door on the right. He opened it, revealing a small room with a table and seating, and motioned for Brian and Jessica to go inside.

"Have a seat. I'll let her know you're here," Watkins said, leaving the room. When the door shut, Brian thought he heard an extra click.

As they sat down, Brian looked at Jessica. I think we're locked in here, he signaled.

Jessica frowned but said nothing.

Brian looked around. The room appeared to be empty, save the table and chairs. He and Jessica sat on one side of the rectangular white table, and there was a single chair on the opposite side. It reminded Brian of an interrogation room, like the ones he had seen on police dramas.

The dim lighting of the room flickered now and then as Brian and Jessica waited, in silence. After a few minutes, the door opened. Brian jumped, as Carol abruptly strode in, and stood staring at them for a moment, before sitting down, without a word.

"What's this all about, Aunt Carol?" Brian asked.

Carol folded her hands on the table. "You two will be staying with us for a while."

Brian waited for her to say more. She didn't.

Jessica spoke next. "What are you talking about?"

"There have been ... developments," Carol said.

Brian slammed his fist on the table. "Cut the crap, and tell us what's going on, Aunt Carol!"

Carol looked at Brian, pursing her lips. "Very well." She took a long breath. "You deserve to know. The Cafeteria, which I know you are both familiar with," she said, narrowing her eyes slightly, "has been captured by Observers."

Brian tried to let that sink in. This was bad, obviously, but he didn't know enough about the Cafeteria to be sure how bad.

Carol continued, "And this will invariably lead them to discover the bunker."

Brian cocked his head. "Then why are we here? Shouldn't we all be hiding somewhere else?"

Carol took a slow, measured breath. "Brian, we always knew that a time might come when we would have to take drastic action. With this in mind, using Borae technology, we have been developing a means to take back control from the Borae. We now have the ability to shut them down, with one, bold stroke."

"A kill switch," Jessica offered.

Carol nodded.

"How long have you had this capability?" Brian asked.

"A few months," she said, flexing her hand.

Brian frowned. "Then, why haven't you used it sooner? You could have saved the President, and who knows what else. Japan and North Korea, maybe."

"This capability couldn't be taken lightly, Brian," she said tightly. "In fact, we had hoped to find another solution. However, recent developments have forced our hand."

"It sounds as if you're talking about nuclear weapons or something," Jessica said.

Carol's eyes looked distant for a moment. "In a sense."

The door opened, and a man leaned into the room. "Ma'am."

"What is it, Rowley?"

He motioned for Carol to join him in the hallway.

"Excuse me," she said, getting up. Carol stepped out of the room and closed the door.

This doesn't sound good, Brian signaled to Jessica.

Jessica nodded slightly.

The door opened, and Carol returned but did not sit down.

"Come with me," she said.

Carol took them down the hallway, and through another door. This one led to a smaller hallway with doors on either side. Using a key card, she opened one of the doors. "This is where you will be staying, Brian. Jessica will be across the hall."

Brian took a step into the room and saw a bed and simple furnishings. It looked like a tiny motel room, sans the entertainment amenities. "How long do you expect us to stay here? And what about our friends?"

"Your friends are safe, Brian," Carol said. "Only Observers will be affected." She handed Brian a key card. "This gets you in and out of your room. We will talk more later." She closed the door.

Only Observers will be affected, Brian repeated in his mind. What does she have planned?