Lieutenant Colonel

Captain America: The First Avenger - Chapter Two: "Lieutenant General"

"I DON'T SEE what the problem is. You're about to be the last eligible man in New York. You know, there's three and a half million women here." Bucky Barnes explained to Steve as the trio walked together to the exhibition.

Diana had her doubts about attending the evening with Bucky and Steve. Especially since it involved the Stark Expo. Meaning that Howard Stark was there as well. With her luck, he'd pick her out of the crowd and embarrass her. She didn't want Steve and Bucky to know what she did for a living. That would mean she had to tell them everything, and it wasn't that she couldn't trust them, but she wanted to be able to keep her work life and personal life separate.

Glancing up at the night sky, Diana huffed and pulled her jacket closer. It wasn't that she could get cold, but Steve was shivering and looking closely, Bucky was too. She had grown a habit of attempting to act like a regular human. She just wanted to fit in with the others.

"Well, I'd settle for just one." Steve replied, trying to avoid looking at Diana as he spoke. It was no secret that Steve had taken a liking to the Goddess. Aside from her undeniable beauty, Diana was a person like no other, and Steve admired the way she acted: strong, hard-headed and compassionate. It was everything that he wanted to be and more.

"Good thing I took care of that." Bucky said as he waved over to the men's dates.

Connie and Bonnie, two lovely ladies that Bucky knew.

The Sergeant did not want to leave out Diana by not inviting her, but he also wanted Steve to have a good time with a nice girl. Of course the Sergeant thought about finding Diana a date, but realised that she would most likely be too good for them. Besides, he didn't want her affections focussed on another man.

"Hey, Bucky!" Connie said, waving over to the soldier. She then glanced at Diana and almost stiffened. Connie immediately became insecure. How could she not be? It seemed as though Bucky was almost always bringing up Diana's name. Talking about how smart she is, her kindness and compassion. Yet, looking at her now, Connie could tell Bucky's words had not done her justice.

"What did you tell her about me?" Steve said nervously as they walked closer.

"Only the good stuff." Bucky smirked.

THE GROUP slowly moved forward in the crowd. Steve's date was blatantly ignoring him which could only anger Diana. How could someone ignore such a nice man? Then again, Steve had been too busy in his thoughts to even utter a word to his date.

Noticing Bonnie wasn't going to pay attention to Steve any time soon, Diana stepped back in line with him and linked their arms, hoping to gain the attention of the woman who was missing out on a nice man.