I Wish We Had More Time

Captain America: The First Avenger - Chapter Twelve: "I Wish We Had More Time"

DIANA AND STEVE had stormed the base. Steve rode below on his motorbike as Diana flew over head. Together, they made it through the entrance of the HYDRA base. Diana and Steve fought side by side until they were surrounded by dozens upon dozens of HYDRA soldiers. But that was the plan.

They were immediately brought to Red Skulls lab.

"Arrogance may not be a uniquely American trait, but I must say you do it better than anyone. But there are limits to what even you can do, Captain. And especially you, Diana. If even Zeus could not defeat me, what made you think you can? You wounded me, but I came back better than ever, of course after reconstructing a new body."

"Ares." Diana greeted with a cold whisper.

"Hello, sister. You see, the 'peace-maker' act failed, so I thought, why not just dive right into 'bad-guy' act. So far, it's worked tremendously." He smirked over to the Princess.

"Dr Erksine was my greatest helper yet, and still, he betrayed me. He gave you, Captain America, everything. What makes you so special?"

"Nothing. I'm just a kid from Brooklyn." Steve chuckled, provoking Red Skull as he punched Steve right across the face, and then once again in the stomach.

Diana clenched her first.

"I can do this all day." Steve muttered, blood dripping from his mouth.

"Oh, of course you can. Of course. But unfortunately I am on a tight schedule." Red skull-- Ares replied pulling out a cube-energy pistol.

"So are we." Diana chimed in, Ares looked over confused, as the team crashed through the glass window.

Diana and Steve fought the guards that held them as Ares ran.

James threw Steve his shield and Diana's hers as they raced off after Ares.

Red Skull fired shots at Diana and Steve as they chased him. He raced through a door that began to close, but Steve threw his shield just in time to stop it.

They both ran forward but stopped abruptly when a man came around the corner with a flamethrower. Steve ducked out of the way just in time, and unfortunately for the man wielding the flamethrower, Diana was flame and heat resistant. The goddess walked through the flames, sending the man back with one punch and knocking him out. She turned her head to see the assault team arriving just in time.

"Diana go!" Steve yelled as he saw Diana still.

Diana snapped out of it, quickly sliding under Caps shield and through the door.

She ran out to see Ares climbing up the ladder of a large plane. She sped towards the ladder and dragged Ares off, the tesseract was gripped tight in his hand.

"Last time I saw you, you wanted to fight. Now you run?" Diana seethed as she walked over to Ares on the floor.

"Go! Keep the plane moving!" Ares yelled to the HYDRA men as they continued on. He tossed the tesseract to one of the men. Diana wanted to chase after, but she knew that Steve and the others couldn't handle the wrath of Ares.

"What have you done to these people?" Diana asked as Ares readjusted himself.

"I did nothing. These men were corrupt long before I arrived. I simply... Amplified it."

"You will not make it out of this alive, brother."

"Neither will you." He retorted as he raised his arms. With him, shards of stone formed as he sent them flying towards Diana. Holding up her gauntlets, she broke them and lurched herself forward, hitting Ares and sending him flying far back into the stone wall. The wall caved, and fell on top of Ares.

"Diana!" Steve yelled as he raced towards the woman. The plane began as it slowly started moving.

"Steve!"

"I'll stay here with Ares, you need to stop that plane!" She said to him. Steve nodded as he walked closer to Diana.

"Steve, what are you-" He cut her off as he grabbed her face with both his hands and brought his lips down to hers in a passionate kiss. Diana closed her eyes, enjoying the moment, that was over too quickly.

"I wish we had more time." Steve muttered to her as he let go of her. He slowly backed away and began to jog.

He quickly turned around once more.

"I love you!" He yelled as he turned back around and kept running.

Diana quickly smiled, but the moment was completely ruined when she felt herself being forced back by Ares. She hit the ground and looked up to see Ares clad in stone armour.

"You had a chance in 1918 to join me, but it is now over, Diana!" He yelled as lightning cracked around him. He lurched his hands forward, sending two bright beams of lightning at Diana. She held her arms up in formation blocking the beams as the force sent her back. She cried out as she stopped the beam and harnessed the power of the lightning, redirecting the force towards Ares. It sent him flying back. He quickly stood up, reaching for the tesseract that sat beside him.

Using her speed, Diana raced towards him and stomped on his out stretched arm.

"Not this time, brother."

She took out her newest sword. The last one was broken by Ares, but this one was new. Forged by the dwarves of Nidavellir when she visited the realms. The Greek Gods were the rulers of Midgard, and Diana's sword was specifically designed for the greatest warrior of the Amazons. It was strong enough to kill anything, and its recipe was enchanted by the God's themselves.

She let out a battle cry as she stabbed Ares through the chest. A big orange mist erupted from Diana and the sword as everything within 30 feet flew back from the force. The stone armour fell from his body as it turned to dust. His hand, finally, but just barely touching the tesseract.

The light faded from his eyes as his body went limp. His skin turned a sickly grey as he was finally defeated.

Hopefully this time for good.

A strange sensation shot through Diana's veins, she stared down at her hands and gauntlets that were now glowing orange. The orange glow slowly faded as she wondered in curiosity what it meant.

★★★★★