3. Flashes

The staircase groaned as it moved from the first floor, startling the Slytherin First years about to step on them. Their prefects, Yoongi and Laura stood calmly, the fire from the mantle glinting off the jewel-encrusted dragon's eye on their robe's clasp, drawing whispers from the First Years who had only heard of the Min-Dracwyn and their dynasty of dragonriders. Clearly they were awestruck having heard of their legendary history. Their ancestors were people of such power and magic that the Ministry had over time systematically curtailed the use of dragons and the Min-Dracwyn's turned their interests elsewhere. But their intimidating aura remained.

Yoongi and Laura led the line of first year Slytherins down the hall, past rows and rows of paintings on the wall that spoke to them in familiar tones. Some Hufflepuffs loitering near the end of the corridor immediately moved to the side to let the Slytherin group pass them, even as they frowned and a seventh year Hufflepuff clucked angrily at them.

'A whole lot of new snakes,' he whispered disapprovingly under his breath, just loud enough for his group of friends to hear.

Two of the most disliked and feared Slytherins had been given a position of power. Yoongi was surrounded by the richest and most elite Slytherins since he had joined Hogwarts and no one dared cross his path because they knew there would be hell to pay. Although Yoongi wouldn't go after anyone without reason, the same could not said for a few others around him.

The light got dimmer and the air cooler as they traversed through the castle. The Slytherin dorms were located on the North side, farthest from the other dorms. A winding staircase led them below and soon they reached the damp grey wall - the entrance to the Slytherin territory.

'Emerald Occulorum,' he said and the bricks began to shift , leaving an open passage for three to enter at a time. The quiet but curious first years trudged through the passage a little uneasily. Their parents had undoubtedly told them of their own House but to experience it was a different matter altogether.

Just as opulent as the House occupants itself, the common room retained its regency over that of the other Houses. It's ambience was dark and cool interspersed with dim but wide arcing pools of green lanterns. The common room extended underground, into the great lake. Cool green light from the water shined through the windows. One could see the small creatures of the lake through the windows. It had the feel of a mysterious underwater shipwreck.

'Woah...' many of the first years stood in amazement. Yoongi and Laura were smugly amused at their reaction. Bet no other house had a common room like this.

The Slytherin emblem hung over the main fireplace, it's emerald eyes shining in the fire. The curtains and the furniture was in shades of grey and green. Portraits of important Slytherin alumni hung on the wall, which Laura completely ignored as she explained the layouts of the dorm.

'The boys dorms are to the left and the girls to the right, both head upstairs. Get changed and meet us in exactly 10 minutes,' Yoongi continued noticing how Laura avoided looking at the portrait of their grandfather.

Yoongi's usual friends, the elite seniors came to join them in the briefing.

'Vorhart,' Laura called out to her roommate who had just come in. 'You ought to be part of the briefing team. You are a senior and the Quidditch captain,' she said to her.

Ash blinked for a moment. Was a Dracwyn willingly inviting another person into their little elite group?

'Yeah sure,' she replied dispassionately and walked to where they were seated.

Just then Yoongi saw Jimin enter and shook his head, 'And someone keep Jimin away from them. He will completely undo the effect of the briefing,'

Jimin looked like they had taken away his candy from him. His eyes widened and plump lips pulled into a round 'o' 'Whaaat? Keep away from me? What am I gonna do?' he whined.