6. Grim Blood

'THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!' Laura and Jungkook screamed at each other.

'I am not the one who cracked half the ceiling!' Jungkook quipped.

'Oh, were you not?' Laura snapped back, 'Don't try to back out of stuff that you did!'

'You are the one who went all batshit crazy!'

'ENOUGH!' Namjoon's stern voice rang through the crumbling room. Laura looked from Jungkook to him with a raised eyebrow.

'Jungkook, you both just got berated by Mcgonagall. Don't continue the fight,' he said, only to Jungkook because he knew that speaking to an angry Slytherin does no good. Jungkook bit his lower lip and walked away hands balled into fists.

'Everyone disperse to your dormitories,' Emina said. 'We should let Roland know what happened,' she said to Namjoon and both headed to meet the professor. The Slytherins sullenly walked back to their dorms.

'She took my wand away. What is worse than that?' Laura muttered eyes narrowed.

'Getting expelled is worse than that,' Ash said looking over the rubble around the room. She brushed a stray piece of lint off her robes.

'Why did you jump in to fight him in the first place?'

'Because he was beating up Jeffrey's arse,' Laura replied, voice lowered.

Ash blinked at her roommate, 'From what I know, you guys don't really like Jeffrey. So why go after him for revenge?'

'It is not about us liking Jeffrey or not,' Laura said.

Ash still looked confused.

'Firstly, Jeffrey is my cousin. Secondly, it was stupid of him trying to defeat Jeon. Slytherins don't act like fools. Did he really think he had a chance with one of the top students of the school? If another house can insult one of our own with impunity, then we are no longer a house to be feared,'

Yoongi added, 'Jeon used Jeffrey to make our house look weak. Granted he's an idiot but he's still one of us. We as a house have to look out for each other no matter what. Do you think we don't know what they whisper behind our backs?' He looked toward a particular group that had been staring at them for a while. 'The looks they give us as we pass by? They call us grim-blooded, minions of the Dark Lord. Do they know what happens when the Dark Lord is actually in front of you, pointing his wand at your family, forcing you to do his deeds?'

The look on Yoongi's face was dark as Laura placed a comforting hand on her cousin's shoulder. She stroked the locket on her neck absently, her eyes hard. And suddenly, Ash saw past their layers of pride and snobbery, the desolation behind the masks they wore.

Ash understood what they meant. Everyone else in the school only had heard only one side of the horror that Voldemort had brought to their world - the victim's side. No one regarded the situation of the families who were under Voldemort's evil reign.

'In the end, we are all each other has... the Dark Lord is gone. But his shadow will never leave Slytherins,' Laura said. 'They all think they are better than us. They are white as snow, aren't they? The other houses provided their fair share of death eaters as well, who willingly went to the Dark Lord's side,'

The walk back to the Slytherin dormitories was quiet charged with emotion. Yoongi and Laura walked with their heads held high despite the turmoil inside them while Ash processed their words. Just as they reached the snake- encrusted door of their common room Laura slid off to see Snape, unnoticed by all except Yoongi who offered to go with her. Jungkook's hex hit her right at the curse mark on her chest, and it had started to burn again.