The Escape

Our feet brushed against the grass, silently. 

Sprinting without looking back, for the first time in my life I truly felt like a predator.  We were sprinting as if our lives depended on it, yet we made no detectable sounds.

Neither of us dared to speak.  We were in unfamiliar territory, heading towards the unknown.  We both knew with certainty that if we were caught there would be no second chances.

We reached the woods, and stealthily began picking our way through.  I itched to shift into my wolf, but I knew that would automatically alert any guards in the vicinity due to the sudden appearance of an unfamiliar scent.

Caroline stopped abruptly with wide eyes and held out her arm to stop me.

Lurching hard against her arm, I gave her an angry glare.

Her eyes stared dead ahead, wide.

Just our luck , I thought angrily.

About fifty feet in front of us stood a camouflaged post that no doubt held guards.

Caroline motioned for me to follow her, and signaled me to be quiet.

We tiptoed backwards, and began making our way to the left as quietly as possible. 

"Who's there?" A male's voice called from the post.

I froze, unsure how to react.

Caroline, however, was unfazed.

"Why don't you use your nose?" She shouted back.

"....Right, sorry." The guard replied. "Ava and Missy."

"We'll be on our way then." Caroline said, confidently.

"Where are you guys going? Its the middle of the night." The guard asked.

Caroline tensed a bit and hesitated.

"Oh you know.. We're going for a run, we've been.. uh cooped up all day." I said, not sounding nearly confident enough.

"Alright, I'm getting off my shift in about fifteen minutes. Maybe I'll meet up with you guys!" He said, sounding excited at the prospect of a run.

"Okay." Caroline said shakily. "See you in a bit then."

"Sounds good." He called back.

"Bye!" I called, as we ran, far enough to be sure he wouldn't be able to see us as we darted by him.

Once we were far enough away, Caroline looked at me.

"What are we going to do?" She moaned, clearly panicking.

If he did get off in fifteen minutes, and did decide that he would go for a run with "Ava" and "Missy", then he would be in for an unpleasant surprise when he came across us.

We would definitely be captured, and more than likely brought back to Maddox. 

"We need to ditch these clothes." I said, out of options.  "If he tracks us, then he'll find the clothes and hopefully by then we will be long gone."

"But what if we can't get out in time? If he catches up to us, its all over." She said, sporting a grimace.

"I know, but what other option is there?  We'll make sure to rub the scent into a few trees to throw him off.  Then we'll have to shift.  We'll be faster that way, and hopefully we have enough of a lead to lose him completely."  I said, trying my best to come up with a reasonable plan.