Reflections of Reality

The cave containing the Pool of Norn was hidden deep with Scandinavia, all but lost to myth and legend. Thankfully, Thor was right in thinking that there was one man who, due to his knowing Thor himself and therefore interested in delving into such myths and legends, eager to find which were in fact based in truth and who would have some knowledge of where it lay.

Erik Selvig.

Together, the two had travelled to the remote, hidden location – one to enter the Pool itself, intent on seeking answers to his questions, the other to be there for his friend.

"This is it, the Water of Sight," Erik said.

"In every realm, there is a reflection. If the water spirits accept me, I can return to my dream and find what I missed."

"Men who enter that water, the legends don't end well," Erik warned.

"Hopefully we can find out what we need before they consume me completely," Thor stated as he and Erik stood on the edge of the Pool, staring at its ink-black surface.

"This is a new kind of dangerous," Erik remarked.

"Unfortunately, the thing I fear contains the thing I need," Thor quoted, first in Asgardian and then in English.

It was then that Thor pulled a small flash from his pocket.

"What's that for?" Erik asked.

"It's for me," Thor replied as he unscrewed the lid and took a drink. "The thing I fear is scary."

Having fortified himself, Thor then removed his boots, jacket and shirt and, having steeled himself for what was to come, strode into the still water. The pool was easily chest deep within a few steps, but Thor did not stop there, quickly sinking beneath the water.

Erik edged closer to the water's edge, a recorder in his hand so as to ensure that he got every word for them to listen back to later, after all, neither of them had any intention of doing this twice.

"All of you."

The voice came from Thor as his head, arms and chest emerged from the water but was clearly not the Price of Asgard. The Norn had him now and Erik pushed his fear aside. He could deal with that later. Thor's lightning crackled from him, across the water.

"You thinking that you were special, thinking that we would all-consume him," the Norn stated through Thor.

"How do we stop Ultron?" Erik asked, the first of their prepared questions.

"Sacrifice."

"What kind?" Erik asked.

"Human, of course," came the response before, once again, Thor's lightning struck, crackling around the cave and making the Norn cry in pain. "We count the dead and they are legion. The Stone draws you all to its brilliance and you to your end."

"The Stone," Erik said. "From Loki's Sceptre?"

"It is. It is of the Six. The Infinite Six. Cannot be joined nor kept apart. Ahhh! This one fights us!"

"This Stone," Erik persisted, attempting to get the Norn back on topic and away from fighting Thor.

"The Mind Stone, that rules perception and moulds the mind's monsters. It carved out your will, Erik and still you don't see!" the Norn mocked.

Erik moved back, away from the horrors of his past before managing to catch himself.

"If Ultron has the Mind Stone ..." he began only to be cut off by the Norn's laughter.