Prologue

"Fuck you, Zabini!"

Students milling in the Hogwarts Entrance Hall were forced to scatter as a skinny blond-haired boy with a pale pointed face hurled through the doors from the Great Hall. He was soon followed by another; a tall boy with dark skin and a wide, malevolent grin.

"Don't be a prick! I was joking, you know I was!"

The blond skidded to a halt and ducked behind a group of second- or third-year girls, who squealed and tried to move out of the way.

"It was your idea, Draco, I heard you myself!"

The girls managed to get away with much squeaking and giggling and Blaise Zabini advanced on the blond with a predatory smirk. He pulled a small bottle filled with a thick red liquid out of his pocket and shook it mockingly.

"You know I was joking!"

Draco Malfoy backed away with frantic eyes, although his voice didn't shake when he tried to deter his companion.

"In fact, Zabini, I specifically remember suggesting that the Weasel would be a good test subject, perhaps you should chase him instead."

The Entrance Hall was beginning to clear as students realised that it would probably be a good idea to get out of the way of this confrontation. The blond, now with his back pressed against the stone wall, looked around the Hall in desperation.

"Zabini, you fucking...!"

The dark-skinned boy stopped, looking hurt.

"Well that's just rude, Draco."

He reached his free hand into his pocket. The blond boy now looked truly panicked.

"Blaise, no, I didn't mean—"

"Petrificus Totalus!"

Draco jammed his eyes shut a second before the spell hit him and he froze in place, his expression murderous.

Bastard.

"Draco, I know what you're thinking."

Bloody fucking sadistic bastard.

Zabini stowed his wand back inside his robes and unpopped the cork of the bottle.

"But it's really for your own good."

Yeah, right. I hate you so much, you know that, right?

"You'll thank me for it one day, you know."

Like fuck I will. I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate—

"Open wide!"

And with that, Zabini prized Draco's mouth open and tipped the contents of the bottle straight down Draco's unresisting throat. Behind his closed eyelids, Draco's eyes were darting in every direction, trying to fight the spell, but to no avail.

"All gone! Well, it was nice talking with you, Draco, old chum. See you in a bit!"

He winked, although of course Draco didn't see it, and sauntered off in the direction of the dungeons, pointing his wand over his shoulder and whispering with anticipation, "Finite."