7

We were almost home when Bryon sped past us and then slammed on the breaks. Bryon got out.

"Curtis!" He shouted. "We know where M&M is, you in?"

I looked at Two-Bit, who shrugged. "Ask your brother."

"Pony? Please?"

"I don't know? Johnny?"

"What! Why me?"

"I'll be home by seven." I said before joining Bryon, his brother Mark, and M&M's sister Cathy in their car.

I was in the backseat with Mark, who smiled at me. "Hey, kid."

"Hey. Where is he?" I asked.

"Next town over, we think," Cathy frowned. "I don't know why..."

I thought back to one of our last conversations...

"M&M, what's got you acting like this?" I demanded. "You're making me and everyone else worried."

"It's none of your business!" He snapped, pushing me out of the way and walking past me. He dropped his peace sign that he wore all the time, and I picked it up.

"What is your problem?"

He whipped around to face me, his eyes glassy and wild. "I've been doin' drugs, Elizabeth. I don't give a damn what you or anyone else has to say! You can't stop me!"

My eyes widened and I gasped, one hand flying up to cover my mouth. I had known he was but I didn't want to believe it.

"Dammit, M&M!" I half-sobbed, stamping my foot. "You stop right there!"

He didn't listen and kept walking. "I don't want to be your friend anymore, Elizabeth Curtis! You're a stupid bitch and I hate you!"

"Go to hell! You're just a hippie freak!"

M&M stopped suddenly and turned around. He smacked me and then he ran away. I didn't chase him.

I felt awful about calling him a hippie freak. I hadn't meant it. But he probably meant what he said. People on drugs said some wild stuff.

.

We drove around for hours and couldn't find him. Bryon said he felt bad about bringing me out there for nothing, so we stopped and got ice cream.

"Thank you, Bryon. I can pay you back once we're back in Tulsa, my money is at home-"

"Whatever, kid. Don't worry about it."

We were watching a few hippies smoke across the lot. I saw a police car across the street.

It smelled like weed, even in the car.

The lights of the police car turned on suddenly, and he drove into the lot. He started taking to the hippies, and then there was yelling.

"Oh my god, that's M&M!" I exclaimed.

Bryon cursed. "Son of a bitch, it is!"

We all got out, but it was too late. The gun fired, and M&M's small frame crumpled to the ground. My ears were ringing and my head was aching. Cathy and I were both crying, but Bryon and Mark were too stunned to do anything.

It was late, past nine. I knew I was going to be yelled at when I got home.

More police cars were showing up, and there was an ambulance. Mark, Bryon, and Cathy were going to the hospital.

They seemed to completely forget about me. So I was just standing in a Dairy Queen parking lot, all alone, looking like a hood in clothes that were way too big for me, and crying.