20

"So, did ya have a nice time?" I asked when the movie was over and I was driving Lizzie home.

"Mhm." She hummed. Our hands were laced together while we drove. The windows were down, and the warm air filled the car. School would be out in a few days. If I played my cards right, this could work out for me.

I stopped the car in front of her house. We'd somehow gotten closer to each other.

Oh, god, do I kiss her? Should I? Is it too soon?

All my questions were answered when she leaned forward and kissed me first. It didn't take long for me to reciprocate it.

I was disappointed when she pulled away, but I understood. "Thanks for taking me out. It was nice."

"No problem, doll. I'll see ya around, huh?"

"Mhm." I watched to make sure she got inside alright before driving away.

Lizzie's POV

As soon as I was through the door, everyone was scrambling to pretend they hadn't been watching us.

"Real smooth. Almost like you hadn't been watching through the window." I rolled my eyes as I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall.

I loved all of them dearly, but I wished they weren't so overprotective. It's not that I didn't understand, I just wished they weren't.

"Yeah, but see- see, we have reason." Dally said, pointing an accusatory finger at me.

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Oh, do tell."

"Uhh..." He looked to Johnny, who came to his rescue.

"Lizzie, to put it nicely... Mark-"

"Mark gets around." Steve said mercilessly.

"Look, this was only the first date, alright? Ya never know, things might change." I said.

"Wasn't it his buddy who ditched you, though?" Pony reminded me, and I sighed.

"Well, yes, but Mark and Bryon are two different people. Just... give him a chance, okay? I really do think he's changed."

.

A few days later, it had been decided that I would be coming back to school in a few months as a senior instead of a junior. I'd officially skipped three grades.

On the last day of school, I was waiting for Pony by the stairs, smoking a cigarette.

"Heya, Lizzie." He greeted. "Man, I still can't believe you're graduating next year."

"Neither can I. I'm real worried about it."

"I can tell. You only smoke when you're nervous." Pony said. "Say, can I have a cigarette?"

I gave him one that I had in my front pocket and he lit it. "Thanks. Hey, wait a minute- is that-"

"No way!" I gasped.

We both started running, and almost knocked Darry over with how hard we hugged him. "You're back!" Pony exclaimed.

"I'm back!" He laughed. "I'm back for good."

"Really? So, you're done? Forever?" I asked.

"Forever." Darry confirmed, then pulled away. His smile faded for a second, but came back. "Look at you two! You both got taller! And Lizzie, you're lettin' your hair grow now, huh?"

"Yup!" I nodded as we started walking home. "Glory, we missed you a lot."

"I missed you guys, too. How's everything been?"

Me and Pony exchanged glances, having a silent argument. Tell him everything or not?

"Well... we'll tell you later." Pony said, patting our brothers shoulder.

"Does everyone else know you're back yet?" I asked.

"Yup. You two are the last to know."

"Wait, what about Johnny?" I frowned.

"He left school early today, remember?" Pony reminded me.

.

"So, did ya tell him yet?" Soda smirked, looking at me with his head resting on his hand.

I shot him a glare while Darry looked between the two of us in confusion. "No. This is a process, Soda, don't rush it."

"Yeah, don't rush it, Soda." Steve teased and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm missing something here, and I don't like it." Darry said slowly.

Two-Bit patted him on the shoulder. "Ohh, buddy. I don't think you're gonna like what Lizzie's about to tell ya."

"How about you shut up?" I glared at him.

"Yeah? What are you gonna do about it, shortstack?" He put his hands on his hips and straightened up so he could be taller.

I stood on a chair to be taller than him and copied his actions. "I'll stab you in the damn throat is what I'll do."

"Oh, I'm so scared." He scoffed, and I almost kicked him before Dally grabbed me around the waist and put me down on the ground.

"Aaannnnd that's enough of that."

"God, you're like my mother." Two-Bit joked, and Dally seemed to die inside.

"Oh, god, I am. I need to go get drunk and forget any of this ever happened."

"Hey, now you're my dad!" Two-Bit shouted after him.

"Ahh! No, I can't handle having children!" Dally shouted as he left.

"I'm gonna go supervise him. And by supervise, I mean, get wasted. See y'all later." Two-Bit walked out, as well.

"You know, we could go with them." Soda suggested to Steve.

"Absolutely not. You're not going drinking." Darry said.

Yup, he really hasn't changed. That's a good thing.