14

While we were walking to Dairy Queen, we ran into Dally and Two-Bit.

"Hey, guys." I greeted.

"What's up, kiddies?" Two-Bit said, and Lizzie gave him a judgmental look.

"Did you just call us... cats?"

"No, I said 'kiddies'. Duh. Not cats."

"Oh, happy birthday." Dally said to her.

"Oh, yeah! Happy birthday." Two-Bit suddenly seemed to remember.

"Thanks, guys." She smiled weakly.

"Where are you two headed, anyway?" Dally looked around. "I thought you two were doin' something as a family or something like that."

I glanced over at Lizzie, who looked like she was going to cry again, but she quickly blinked it away. "Uh- Darry and Soda had to work. So Pony's taking me to Dairy Queen." She muttered.

"Wow, what a good brother." Two-Bit teased. "Y'all need any money?"

"We're good. Thanks, though." I said.

"Yeah, no problem kid." When Lizzie started talking to Dally, he lowered his voice and said to me, "I heard what happened to the kid. She doin' alright?"

"Not really, that's why we're gettin' ice cream." I replied, and he nodded before handing me a dollar. "Two-Bit, you don't have to-"

"I know I don't have to, but I want to, so you're gonna take it.l

"Thank you."

He patted my shoulder. "No problem, kid."

Lizzie's POV

Me and Pony stayed up late together, waiting for Darry and Soda to get back. I was still upset about Georgia, so he let me pick which channel we watched on TV.

"Hey, you excited to get your stitches out and your cast off next week?" He asked.

"Oh, I forgot about that. Yeah, I am."

"Good. Man, I wonder what's taking Darry and Soda so long."

I felt my heart drop in my chest. "They're working overtime. They told us they had to a couple days ago."

"Dammit, that's right." He sighed. "I'm real sorry your birthday's been so bad."

I shrugged, and I felt tears sting my eyes again but I didn't let them fall. "What can ya do? It's fine."

"I'm sure they have something up their sleeve to make it up to you,"

"I don't care that we didn't really do anything for my birthday. I'm just sad about what happened, and whatever's goin' on with grandma, and that Darry and Soda aren't here.l I said. "But that makes it sound really depressing, so forget I ever said anything."

Pony chuckled, shaking his head. "Whatever you say, Lizzie."

He looked a lot like Soda when he laughed. Pony didn't think he was good looking, but he was. He always said that he wanted to look like Paul Newman, but he looked fine enough without looking like any actors. He and Soda really did look mighty similar.

People always said I looked like Darry, but I didn't think I did. I looked almost just like mom, except my hair was brown. I didn't really like how I looked. I didn't like to talk about it, but I didn't. Nobody likes girls with brown hair and brown eyes. And I was too short and pale. I had too many freckles on my face and I hated my glasses.

"You look like you're analyzing me again."

"Hm? No, I'm just thinking."

"About what?"

I shrugged. "Just stuff."

He nodded, showing that he understood.

We stayed up until almost midnight before we heard car doors slam outside. "Finally," Pony said.

The front door opened and Soda walked in. "Hey, guys. Happy birthday, Lizzie."

"Thanks."

Darry came in a moment later. "Sorry we're late. Happy birthday."

"Thanks," I sighed.

"What's wrong?" Soda frowned.

"Georgia called us white trash and said we're the scum of the town, and she said I don't have friends because I don't deserve them because I'm a freak." I said.

"What the hell? I'm gonna beat the shit outta her." Darry looked pissed. He got mad sometimes, but hardly ever mad like this. The only time he got mad like that was when somebody did something to me, Soda, Pony, or anyone else in the gang.

"No, you absolutely will not!" I exclaimed. "I'm not even bothered by it, I'm fine-"

"She's a liar, and cried all afternoon." Pony interjected, and I punched him on the arm.

"That's not relevant."

"Lizzie," Darry said, giving me a sad look. I hated seeing anybody sad. There was nothing else for anyone to say.

The rest of the night was spent in silence.