19

"So, you've been following the guidelines?" Mark smirked as I met up with him after school two weeks later.

"Yes. I gained back fourteen pounds."

"Well aren't you just an over achiever?" He grinned and then kissed my cheek. "I'll come get you at seven, alright?"

"Alright."

I started walking away and Pony and Johnny caught up with me.

"Woah, woah, woah, what the hell was that?" Pony demanded.

He and Soda had realized that they were being idiots and they were acting just how they were before, and they both apologized to me. "Nothing. Just a boy."

"Yeah, and that 'boy' is Mark Jennings, Lizzie!" Johnny said.

Both of them seemed to realize it at the same time.

"You're going on a date with him!" Pony gasped, and I shrugged. "You can't date him! Anyone but him!"

"And why not him, huh?"

"Because- well- I don't have a good reason, but come on, Lizzie, you've got to have standards."

"There ain't nothing wrong with him." I snapped. "And I do have standards."

.

I finished my homework and started getting ready to go out.

"Why are you gettin' all dressed up?" Dally asked.

"If I tell you, you ain't gonna let me go." I said, looking at him in the mirror of my bedroom as I applied my lipstick.

"Must be somethin' mighty important, since you're putting on makeup and all." Soda chimed in, leaning against my doorway.

"Alright, alright, I'm goin' on a date." I crossed my arms and turned around to face them and Two-Bit (who was standing behind both of them, watching me).

"What? With who?" Dally demanded.

"... Mark Jennings."

"Absolutely not, that kid is a player if I ever knew one." Two-Bit said.

"Come on! It's not like that. I'll be fine, I swear."

"Aw, I say let her go." Soda stuck up for me, coming into my room and putting an arm around my shoulders. "Look at her, she's all excited for it. Let her go."

"Yeah, let me go." I pleaded, and Dally and Two-Bit exchanged glances.

"Fine." Dally sighed. "But you are not having sex with him, got it?"

I felt my face get red. "Why would you even bring that up?"

"Just setting you boundaries!" He defended.

.

At seven, Mark showed up as promised. I leaned against the doorframe as he got out of his car. "Well, you clean up nice. Finally combed your damn hair." I teased.

"I can't even argue with that," he grinned, then handed me a daisy. "A flower, for you, m'lady."

I rolled my eyes. "Thank you."

The whole gang was in the house, and I could tell they were all watching.

"So, all your friends watch you get taken on dates often, huh?"

"Hey, I ain't ever even been on a date before. You're the first boy who thinks he can handle all that." I gestured to the house with my head as he opened my car door for me. "Thanks."

"I'm your first?" He actually sounded surprised. "But you're so... how? I don't get it."

I shrugged, not really looking at him as I played with the flower he'd given me. I was wearing a pale yellow skirt and a black blouse tucked into it. "How'd you know daisies are my favorite?"

"They are?" Mark grinned. "Lucky guess."

I smiled, twirling the stem of the flower around between my fingers.

As we drove, I looked over at him and observed him. He was a year and a half older than me, so he just turned sixteen. He had shaggy blond hair that he didn't really do anything with, and he was kinda tan. His eyes were dark blue, like a sunset. Blond stubble covered his jaw.

He was average height, and he had a fair build for his size. He didn't look it, but he was strong, and real handsome, too.

His voice was deep and husky, and when he talked, he made me feel safe with him. I hadn't known him for long, but he was one of those people that I could be around for hours and not feel drained.

Mark Jennings was one of the best boys I'd ever met.

Mark's POV

I glanced over at Lizzie when we got to the drive-in. She was a real pretty girl.

When she was younger, she kept her hair short, but now it was long, and she had it tied back. She had soft doe eyes, the color of nature after it rained. Freckles dotted her pale skin, and she had curves in the right places, especially after I'd convinced her to actually eat.

Her voice was like music. I could sit and listen to her talk for hours- it really was a shame she didn't talk much.

Her laughs were even rarer- I'd sell my soul to make her laugh. Her laugh was one of the best things about her.

Everything about Lizzie Curtis was perfect, inside and out.