CHAPTER 1: The Idea

I would like to putit out there that I am not a perfect minimalist. Nobody is. It varies eachperson, each situation, each state. The idea of minimalism is there. There's noactual list to check in order to become a minimalist. What I can say, though, isthat a minimalist makes us consume or buy unwanted materials that makes nosense in our lives. One example: I went to the groceries earlier to buy ingredients for dinner and then, because it is Christmas season, there's a lot of sale everywhere. 

In the groceries, on the way to the vegetables section, there's a parade of red signs screaming "50% OFF", "BUY 1 TAKE 1", "SAVE $50"! If it were still me a couple of years ago, I'd dive into it and grab all those items that are on sale. The reason? Because it says I will save more or I could buy both of those for the price of one! I'm proud to put into writing that I have not let those signs tempt me and went straight ahead and bought only the things I NEEDED, which is a group of healthy vegetables.

There's a perception about minimalists that some people have in mind: minimalists doesn't own a furniture, only owns a bowl that can be used for food and drink, owns nothing. Which is mostly incorrect. Most of the minimalists actually own something, of course. Although I'm not sure if there are extremists that would not own anything, sleep on the floor and only uses a bowl. What's their issue with the bowl, anyway? I mean, I own a huge wide mug that acts as a bowl AND as a coffee mug but that doesn't mean I don't have a spoon, fork and plates. Back to the topic, minimalists are people who only wants to have possessions that "spark joy" when they see it. Or, in other words, find those things very useful and needed it every day.

As a teenager, I used to own a LOT of clothes. Iwent to Manila to look for a job and probably will be staying there but Ibrought like four huge baggage, three carry on and a backpack. Those are onlyclothes and it looks like I was exiled and had to bring my entire

house with me. As I grew older, I realized that my room has turned into a dumpsite of old clothes, but I envy those pretty neat Pinterest-worthy rooms I see on the magazines (because Pinterest was not Pinterest then). I became discontented with what I have.

Fast forward around 10 years later. I work at a call center and they have this big donation box every Christmas season, so we can donate to the typhoon victims. I started donating there. At first, it was just like two pair of shirts and a pants that I donated and then, after cleaning up my room, I realized that I have a lot of clothes that I do NOT need but someone can be clothed with it. Someone out there will find it useful and won't be shirtless. I also own old baby clothes and I found out on the news that there are babies who are sick (this was way back when Typhoon Yolanda/Hainan hit Philippines) and only own one cloth. So, I sent those clothes that my kid no longer needs but can be a lifesaver for someone else. After that, I started donating every time our donation box appears. I can help OTHERS and at the same time, clean my room! Awesome, right? 😉

Back then, I didn't know about the "minimalistcommunity" but I do know the idea of it. I'm not the tidiest person in theworld and there's only a moment in life that my OCD button turned on. The ideaof being a minimalist can save you money, can keep your house

clean even if you are not the expert in tidying up your house and it keeps your mind clear. I have longed to write a book, ideally fictional book like the one I had already written ON HAND (yes, it was painful to write for hours non-stop) on a book I kept somewhere in the house, but I find writing about this wonderful idea that can benefit everyone. Yes, you may envy others for having just so much. But it all boils down to "Do I really need it?" "Does it spark joy?"

Today, I have decided to write about my journey to minimalism. I was previously a vegetarian for a couple of years, but I was put in a situation where there's no vegetarian option -- more on that experience later in the book. I have also recently started to openly support and promote eco-friendly products. I have decided that NOW is the best time to change. Even if it means one change at a time. At least you have started because the quality of life is going really bad. If everyone starts changing their behavior and lifestyle, one at a time, one step forward a day, maybe this world may become a better place.