Chelsea: The Scale of Justice.

"Chelsea, call me back okay. We need to talk about that Sunday." Ryan had left me ten voicemails over this last week.

He seemed to have an issue letting this go. The girl wanted nothing to do with the police and frankly I don't blame her. From what Ryan told me she had left his party with Richard Price. Accusing a man like that would come with a price.

A trial would take years and the defense attorneys would fight dirty. They would pick a beautiful woman like that apart on the stand. Everything that was once private would be plastered all over the news. Every detail about who she dated, how sexually active she was in the past, right down to the very clothes she wears out on a day to day basis would be used against her to cause probable doubt. Unfortunately, it's just the nature of the beast and for some trying to forget is the lesser of the two evils.

"Anna." I called to my assistant. "Call Ryan and schedule us dinner tonight. Somewhere private, I don't plan on being harassed."

"Yes ma'am." Anna stopped what she was doing and immediately began calling for reservations.

She did have that going for her. She was extremely good at her job. Before I needed to ask for it she filed my paperwork and looked up all of my trial dates and times. She took care of sending the judges their gifts, and made sure that I always knew what was happening before I needed to.

I let my mind drift for a few second. If I was to fall for someone I'd imagine it would be someone like her. Someone who understood what my job meant to me. Someone who was malleable.

"Miss, your 4pm is here in the conference room." Anna popped her head into my office.

"I wasn't aware I had any further appointments today Anna." My eyebrow raised.

"Yes, well the young lady insisted on only speaking with you. Her name is Jessica, Jessica Lowe."

When Anna said the name my mouth hung open. How could I have not known she had scheduled to meet with me? My mind began to race. Truthfully I hated surprises. I hated not being prepared for what was to come. Preparation was part of my attorney mindset.

"When was the appointment made Anna?" My words came out harshly.

"Miss she made it Tuesday. I can tell her that you're stuck in a meeting if you'd like and we can just reschedule her." Again Anna's confidence began to dissipate.

"Anna, I need to know these things." I added softly in an attempt to calm myself down.

"I wasn't aware that I had to inform you since I've never had to in the past." Anna shot back quickly. Her hands were fidgety and she wasn't looking me in the eye. She was standing her ground in front of me regardless of what her body language showed.

For the second time today my mouth hung open. Where the hell did that come from? I regained my composure with a short shake of me head.

"Careful Anna." I warned before I stood and left my office. My mind was still trying to comprehend the last five minutes as I walked to the conference room.

My heels clicked down the hall as I neared the conference room. On the way there I tried to imagine what exactly she wanted from me. I was a defense attorney. There was no way I could help her through something like this.

When I reached the conference room my eyes met hers. Her makeup was done and her face was well kept. The complete opposite of what I had seen from her last time and understandably so.

The truth is if I had met her under different circumstances I would have thought she was breathtakingly beautiful. Everything from the way she wore her dark blonde hair to the way she her eyes seemed to glow under the fluorescent lights attracted me to her.