XIX.

The store just received a large shipment of books and I finally finished stocking them on the shelves

The store just received a large shipment of books and I finally finished stocking them on the shelves. I looked at the clock. It was around four in the afternoon. My boss told me that we were closing early today and once I was done with the shipments, I could close up the shop. Afterwards I would browse around at the street market down the block. It was already crowded and I didn't want to get stuck in traffic.

I just needed to put the boxes in the recycling bin at the back of the bookstore.

I created a pile of folded cardboard boxes and lifted them in my arms. They were a bit heavy, but it was manageable enough for me to carry for the short trip. Wobbling, I bumped into a few shelves before making my way to the back of the store.

As I started wiggling the doorknob, I heard voices.

My eyebrows furrowed. The trash was being collected today...

My mind went on a rampage with different scenarios. Could it be a drug deal? Gangs? I shuddered in fear.

What should I do? What should I do? I could call 911...

I immediately paused that train of thought. If I weren't carrying these boxes, I would smack myself. I'm overexaggerating. It could be nothing, right?

Hearing a groan, I knew it was something. More voices were talking and I winced when I heard a crack.

After a few more moments of deliberation, I knew I had to check it out. I couldn't walk away when it seemed like someone was getting seriously hurt. Taking a few deep breaths, I lowered the cardboard boxes onto the floor. Before I could lose my courage, I quietly eased the backdoor open. I silently cheered when the door made no noise.

I peeked through the crack and my eyes widened at the...

I gasped as my eyes snapped open. The man's haunting voice echoed in my head, the words repeating over and over again.

"Scatena la verità...Sblocca il cassetto...Enlightenment."

I couldn't breathe. I scrambled to get up, but something was constraining me. My panic skyrocketed as I struggled to get out of the confines surrounding me. Hearing a grunt through my panic, I blinked as everything slowly fell into place again.

Turning my head, I instantly stopped struggling at the sight.

Lying next to me was Damon sleeping, a peaceful expression on his face. It was an expression that I hadn't seen from him before. Seeing him now made me want to take a picture of him on my phone. I deliberated, remembering the pictures he took of me last night, when I saw the position we were in.

We could be mistaken for a twisted pretzel. Our legs were tangled together and my hands were stuck against his chest. Damon's arms were wrapped around me firmly, making sure I didn't move a muscle. His head was next to mine, our faces inches away from each other.