XXI.

"Julian, you need to stop Josh!" I gasped in horror as his brother started snuck towards the innocent Elmo taking pictures with giddy children

"It's all right, ma'am. He won't harm Elmo...much," Julian said with a shrug as he maneuvered us through the crowd to catch up to Josh.

The twins had had the horrible notion of going to Time Square to get a treat before heading to my apartment, which was in the opposite direction. I was against the idea from the start, wanting to get back to the mansion, until they told me they would buy me a few croissants. They knew they were my favorite treat and it was getting close to noon.

And who could say no to those beauties?

So, of course, I had to say yes.

However, I was regretting my decision as Josh made a beeline for the poor guy in the Elmo costume. A gasp escaped my lips as Josh launched himself at the red monster, tackling him to the ground. I quickly tugged Julian's hand, bumping into people to get to the scene. The children's parents looked on in horror and the children screamed in excitement, jumping on top of the human pile.

The parents pulled their children away, looking daggers in our direction. Julian helped a happy Josh to his feet, an identical grin on his face. Meanwhile, I helped the traumatized Elmo get his bearings. I didn't need to see the person underneath the costume to know they were looking at the twins in fear. I quickly pulled some cash from my purse and put it in Elmo's furry hand.

"Please forgive my friend, he's a bit excited," I told Elmo apologetically and gave them a small smile. He gave me a large hug, probably staying in character. I hugged Elmo back but began to get uncomfortable as the hug lasted for more than a few seconds.

"Get lost, Elmo– you red furry freak!" Julian said with a scowl, the playfulness vanishing from his face. He and Josh took a step forward before Elmo pushed me aside and took off.

I turned to face the twins, gobsmacked by the events that happened.

"W-what did you– I can't believe you–ugh!" I tugged at the ends of my hair in frustration, stumbling over my words. I took a deep breath and faced Josh. "Why in the world did you tackle the poor guy?"

"We have a thing against the color red," Josh shrugged. At my still confused expression, Josh continued. "Our sister was once attacked by a man whose favorite color was red, hence our despise for the color. The only exception to that rule is blood."

I made a face mixed with horror and disbelief. I looked at Julian, who nodded affirmatively at Josh's statement. I squinted at them both. I didn't know how to respond to that. How does one even respond to that explanation? He tackled Elmo because he was red? Josh finally looked a tad sheepish at his actions though.

"I'm sorry that I worried you ma'am, but I will not apologize for hurting the red monster. Also, the little weasel was holding you for far too long." Josh said with finality.