XXV.

I woke up to the smell of butter

Something wet ran down the side of my cheek and I absentmindedly wiped it away. I pushed myself up on the bed and looked down, wincing at the amount of drool on my hand.

Thank goodness I didn't sleep with Damon last night. I'm a drool monster.

The smell of food distracted me, causing my mouth to water again. Quickly, I checked how I looked in the mirror before opening my bedroom door. The aroma was even stronger now as it led me into the kitchen. My sock-covered feet allowed me to move undetected as I watched Damon.

Damon was standing at the counter kneading something. His hands were covered in flour as he expertly folded and rolled the dough, then placed the pastries on a baking sheet. The oven beeped and he quickly grabbed a towel to take another tray out. I inwardly groaned as I saw the golden-brown croissants.

He can make my favorite pastry whenever I want? I definitely found a keeper.

I fought back a few giggles. Seeing a large tattoo-covered criminal making pastries was both funny and adorable. My stomach was done waiting for me to eat and let out a long growl.

I blushed and crossed my arms over my stomach as Damon snapped his eyes towards me. He smiled warmly before gesturing for me to come forward.

"Sit down, Flower. I was about to wake you up for breakfast," Damon greeted and continued to get the croissants ready for the oven.

I eagerly sat on a stool and leaned my elbows on the counter to watch.

"I would've asked you out right away if I knew you could bake my favorite pastry," I joked as Damon put the final tray in the oven and set the timer.

Damon shook his head and gave me a smirk. We both knew that I would have never made the first move.

"My mom taught me to cook, especially baking. I've been baking goods like this since I was a kid. I usually only cook for myself, but my dad always told me to treat my woman like a queen, so here we are," Damon wiggled his eyebrows and I let out a laugh.

I noted how relaxed he was, the stress from last night gone now that he revealed his secret. It made me happy that he trusted that he could be himself around me.

Damon washed his hands before coming towards me, placing a croissant from the cooling rack on a plate. He pushed the plate closer before gently wrapping his arms around my waist. The stool was tall enough that he barely had to crouch down.

"How are you feeling?"

I mentally checked my injuries, slightly moving my limbs.

"A bit sore, but I think some pain pills will help," I smiled at his concern and cheered as he put the warm morsel in front of me. I didn't hesitate to stuff it into my mouth, moaning at the taste.