This will be the day Chapter 1

THIS WILL BE THE DAY

CHAPTER 1

That night, Qrow held Winter tight as she slept. He watched her as she nursed Ethan. It was the kind of normal life that he wanted but could never have. He thought to himself, this will never last. He thought to himself, if every night was like this, I could be happy. He thought to himself, if this was my last day to live, I would want it to be just like this. He decided to be happy for this one night and wait to see what tomorrow would bring.

When tomorrow came, it brought the battle everyone had been waiting for. This was the day they had all been waiting for....

The day started out like any other. Qrow and Winter were so happy. Qrow had never been so happy before, not even with Summer. Despite the dangers, they were full of hope. Ethan had changed everything. He had brought hope, not only to Qrow and Winter, but to the whole team. Everyone was excited. They were preparing for this battle with every confidence that they could end the war.

That morning Weiss and Ruby came down early for breakfast and found Winter and Qrow putting Ethan back to sleep after his feeding.

Weiss: Oh, can I see him? Please! Let me hold him.

Winter: He's just going back to sleep.

Weiss: I won't wake him; I can rock him.

Ruby: And I'll help! I just love this little guy.

Qrow: You two keep it down. You'll wake everyone. To Winter: Leave Ethan with the girls; we can use a break. Come on back to bed.

Winter: Ok. Thanks girls.

Qrow and Winter go back to their room.

Weiss: What do you think about them? Could you ever imagine?

Ruby: No, (giggles) it was a complete surprise to me. Uncle Qrow has always been really secretative.

Weiss: Yeah, Winter is always so formal and proper. (both laugh)

Ruby: I think she is good for him. He stopped drinking and I have never seen him look happy, EVER!

Weiss: I've never seen Winter look so relaxed. (both laugh again)

Both together: They're perfect for each other! (both laughing loudly)

Weiss: Shhh, don't wake him.

Ruby: I won't; he is ssoooo cute.

Weiss: I know. I think he looks like my brother when he was a baby.

Ruby: He has Uncle Qrow's eyes.

Qrow and Winter are awake but comfortably cuddled together.

Winter: We never really decided what we do now.

Qrow: We could go stay at your place if you want. You can join team RWBY and help us prepare for the battle. I don't want you to fight. Don't get me wrong, I know you are an excellent fighter, but I don't want to lose you and you have to think of Ethan.

Winter: If it comes down to it, I will fight. I don't want to lose you either but, if we are going to do this, then we have to stick together. I'm not Summer and I won't stay home while a man does all the fighting for me. This is what I was trained to do. I want to fight so that our children won't have to.

Qrow: Just as long as Ethan always has you. He needs you and so do I.

Winter: You will always have me; both of you will.

Qrow: You could get your job back if you want.

Winter: I think I'm through with all of that. All I want is to end this war; then we will all be free.