t w e l v e

Bailey felt as if she were floating; again

But this time she was dancing across the sky, spinning and jumping and playing in the clouds. Just as she jumped through a thick cloud, suddenly she was falling through it. 

Slowly, she fell towards the ground which she could not see, though she knew it was there. Anticipated it. 

She kept falling and falling through the sky as it changed colors of pink, orange and purple. Her curls of ginger hair flew upwards into the air as she fell, her little summer dress floating around her like a parachute. She felt peaceful though she was falling through the unknown. Her long eyelashes fluttered gently and her cheeks were flushed pink.

The clouds parted like the red sea and suddenly the view of the dark blue ocean made her panic. She squeezed her eyes shut and refused to look at it.

"Ginger baby", the whisper floated past her ears and the sound of the wind rushing past her stopped completely. "Open your eyes."

She shook her head and whimpered as the feeling of falling hit her stomach with an amazing amount of force.

"Trust me Bailey. Open your eyes."

Slowly, Bailey peeled her eyes opened and she sighed in relief when she realized she was no longer falling. She was sitting comfortably on a fluffy cloud. 

She wondered why it felt like a marshmallow instead of water, but she didn't complain.

"Baileyyy." She whipped her head around as she heard Adrian's voice float behind her.

And then it was above her

And then under her 

And then in front of her, though she never saw him.

"Where are you? Stop teasing me!"

"Or what?" His voice teased. "Why shouldn't I tease you when you're always walking around in those impossibly cute outfits, teasing me? It's only fair."

She pouted and crossed her arms. "It is not fair."

His husky chuckle echoed through both of her ears and she felt her heart skip a beat.

"Oh ginger baby. When are things ever fair?" His voice was quiet and she felt something lightly caress her cheek. "I wish I could see you in person and kiss you in person. But that time isn't now."

She felt a wisp of her hair being pulled gently and suddenly she was falling over right into a tide pool.

She squealed as she landed in the water in surprise but she wasn't mad because the tide pool was really clear and pretty. She loved the ocean. She felt drawn to it.

"Don't pee yourself baby. It tends to happen when people first feel the water," he half-joked.

Presley had peed himself slightly after he woke from the dream and Adrian teased him from a distance. He would have a hard time living that down. He had burned those sheets.

She giggled and splashed the water up into the air, the drops of refreshing water falling over her head. 

"Do you remember what I told you in the other dream?"

"Ummm..."

"I'll take that as a no," he chuckled. "Listen carefully, okay baby?"

"Okay, Adrian," she said as she crawled across the tide pool to grab a little piece of sea glass next to a star fish.

There was a sigh before she was suddenly hovering above the tide pool, just floating in the air by her sundress which was rising up over her bum. 

"You have to listen," Adrian's voice said in frustration.

"Oh right," Bailey said as she was dropped back into the water with a small splash. "Sorry."

"Mmm yeah. Anyway, you're gonna start feeling weird soon. You might not notice but Presley and your dad will. Presley is going to bring you to a beach where you'll be able to see me and there is where you'll transform."

"I don't know w-"

"I know it doesn't make sense now but until then we can't communicate. And you have to be extremely careful because I can't constantly be watching over you."

"So I won't be able to hear you in my head anymore?"

"No. For now you have to judge things for yourself. If something seems odd, follow your first instinct and get Presley or your dad to help. Okay?"

"Okay," she said hesitantly.

"Don't worry ginger baby.  We'll see each other soon. Stay safe until then."

Bailey felt something soft and comforting on her forehead and then all was dark and quiet.