f o u r t e e n

Bailey tapped her bare foot nervously on the car floor as she waited for her brother to come out of the variety shop connected to the gas station

Bailey tapped her bare foot nervously on the car floor as she waited for her brother to come out of the variety shop connected to the gas station. It was dark out and for some reason the air was chilly though it was still basically summer.

She felt a chill run down her spine as the light above the car flickered off for a second and then on again. 

A tap on the window at the trunk of the car made her spin her head around to see if she saw anything; but there was nothing or no one there for her to see.

She nibbled on her lip as she became paranoid with everything she saw and heard.

A squeak escaped her as a little bird hopped across the windshield, its little eyes staring at her through the window. It slid down the sloped glass and landed on its butt at the front of the car and she giggled before crawling into the front seats. 

Just as she looked up, she noticed the little sparrow was no longer there. She scanned over the area before shrugging and turning to look out her window.

A loud scream escaped her as she saw a man in a worn out leather jacket and a brown western hat standing directly in front of the passenger door. He had a sharp jaw and a sneaky crooked smile on his plump lips. A slight well shaped scruff covered his jaw.

"Hello little mariposa," he smirked as he tapped lightly on the glass. "I'll be back for your wings very soon."

And as soon as he appeared, he shifted and then all she saw was a little sparrow flying away in the darkness of the night, the rain hardly bothering him.

Her heart was racing in her chest as Presley got into the car.

"Bee?" He asked as he put two waters into the cup holders. "Bee, what's wrong?"

"A man was here and he said he'd be back for my wings. What does that mean?" She asked as she tried to calm her breathing and heart rate.

"I don't know," he said as he rubbed her back gently. "We just have to get to Adrian really fast now. Everything will be alright."