It Begins

Bruce Pov
It's time to begin. The process can no longer wait. I waited until the "case" was waved and Alfred was proven innocent. Now with our funds in tact I decide I will look over places and different cultures of the world on where I shall be traveling. After searching for hours I decide I should eat before Alfred breaks down the door. Thinking of the thought I catch myself smiling softly. Alfred is all I have left and I will do everything to protect him. As I walk to the kitchen I hear Alfred humming and see him preparing dinner.
"Hello Master Bruce dinner will be served in 30 minutes would you like a snack in the meantime? " Alfred asks
"No I think I'll just sit here for awhile. " I sit down and stare at Alfred for a man in his 40s Alfred ages well. I almost fall out the chair when I see there on his left hand a fading mark barely there his soulmate mark. All these years and I never even knew Alfred had a soulmate. I'm honestly perplexed.
"Alfred you have a soulmate?"I practically scream.
Alfred stops chopping and looks at me.
"Yes Master Bruce I have a soulmate if that's what you want to call it ."
"Why aren't you with them?"I ask everyone I knew were with their soulmate .
"Master Bruce it isn't a happy story are you sure you want to know?"Alfred asks and for the first time I see his age in his eyes . Those eyes hold so much hurt and pain. Such despair and tragedy. I always knew Alfred put on a facade but his eyes always told me other wise.In this moment I can tell this story isn't a very happy one.
"I would like to know if its okay with you Alfred "I say looking down. Feeling like a toddler asking for another bedtime story.
"Alright Master Bruce be warned not all stories have a happy ending. "

Alfred's Flashback
"As you know Master Bruce I was a British Spy back in my younger days.
Well one mission went wrong . But in my eyes it was the best day for a young lad like myself . It was the day I got my soulmate mark . I thought me and him would personally spend the rest of our lives together ." Alfred says before I cut him off.
"WAIT YOU SAID HIM? ??"I practically scream .Alfred's soulmate is a man??? How could I not know just when I was about to ask another question Alfred cut me off.
"Master Bruce if your going to scream I won't continue. "He says  very sternly.
I clamp my mouth shut and hold all questions until the end of the story.
" As I was saying yes my soulmate was a him and times we're very  different back when I was growing up. Two people of the same gender was frowned upon even if they were indeed soulmates. People did so mamy horrible things. They would beat them up , call them horrible names, some people even went as far as killing same sex couples. I was quite the activist in my younger days. You should never judge someone on their sex, color, or religion. And I pray you never be as bad as those people. I've raised you better than that but you can imagine when me this scrawny british spy got their soulmate mark but can you imagine my astonishment when my soulmate was indeed a man and the enemy at that. That would've surely gotten me kicked if it wasn't for the fact my general was a gay man himself.I was 22 years old and was interrogating this "enemy"on matters when it was like time stood still I saw his eyes and everything that didn't make sense made sense . Everything clicked inside me and how could this be my soulmate is the enemy?  I guess he realized it too because he smiled a smile that could light up a universe. I honestly forgot that he was on the enemy side . Until later that night when I was in bed he snuck in my tent while I was sleeping.
"Hey you wake up"I honestly tried to ignore him even if my stomach felt like a herd of butterflies took refuge there.
"What do you want in the middle of the night? " I screamed whispered .
"Well I wanted to talk to my soulmate if the gods allow , My name is Adam what's yours? "
"My name is Alfred" I spoke for a long time we just stared at each other.And somehow we kissed and it truly did feel like fireworks.  And our stories Master Bruce we're just like every other soulmate and we went on dates , we did everything together, we were even engaged, well engaged as much as two gay men could be until tragedy struck we we're walking down a alley and some men decided to teach us "faggots " a lesson. He suffered a broken nose  but I took  the most of it that day I had a crack rib , a broken arm , and a nasty cut that left me bleeding the last thing I saw we're his eyes and I decided if I had to die it would be worth it. But turns out I needed a blood transfusion since we we're soulmates we could be a perfect match. But every time I woke up he wasn't there but when I woke up the last time there on my table was a note and a single rose. All I kept feeling was despair through our soulmate bond and I knew that note would break my heart forever . I cried so much and that's when I met your father and mother. I was walking out and bumped into her. And she told me she loved my accent and she wanted me as her butler. Of course your father tried to get her to try someone else that fit the criteria but it was  too late.Once your mother set her eyes on something you might as well give up she was a very stubborn woman .They we're in London for business and they saw me they we're young at the time but they offered me a job and I took it and never looked back. "Alfred says. I left family but once they figured out what happen they never questioned me. Your parents gave me a home and a family. They tried to reach out to my soulmate for me over the years but with no success. As time passed I soon forgot about my soulmate and each day was better. I sometimes feel him and it knocks me down but as long as I still have you here with me it helps the healing process.
(Back to Bruce Pov)
"Alfred what did the note say?" I asked quiet.
"Come Master Bruce I'll show you ".
We walk through the manor until we reach Alfred's side of the manor. Which includes a foyer, personal kitchen,his room and master bathroom.  I watch as he gets a box down and inside a single rose and a note he hands it to me and it reads...

Dear Alfred,
If your reading this than I'm afraid it's time I tell you the truth.
I've been sick a while and haven't  had the guts to tell you. I have something that makes me sick really badly. The doctors are calling it Aids. But since I have this I can't give you the transfusion you desperately need. I can't fathom the pain I feel to know I can never be with you the way I want. I've had it for a while now but I was determined to make the best out of my few years and you completed me. I wish things could have been different.  I will always love you and I won't reach out anymore with this I give you a rose and a goodbye
                  Sincerely Adam

I looked up with tears in my eyes.
"Alfred I " I started but just gave him a hug. All this time and I never even knew Alfred is the picture of strong.
"Alfred can we eat dinner tomorrow please? I ask as he wiped away my tears.
"Of course Master Bruce"as he went to the kitchen I made my way back into my room it's amazing only Afred can put me back in my childlike mind. Before the death of my parents. I am almost 18 years old and he makes me feel like that scared little boy that lost his parents all them years ago.That reminded everything would be okay.I have to protect Alfred he's already lost so much . He deserve happiness and satisfaction. And I will grant him that. As I lay back in my bed and I let my mind wonder. My mind is a dangerous place I shouldn't let my mind wonder too long because then once I'm in that black pit no one can save me.
"What if my soulmate doesn't want me?"
"What if my soulmate gets sick?"
"What if they die? How does one cope with that pain?"
"What if they don't love me?"And that question makes the void within spread but soon its over taken by that warm feeling and find myself wanting that feeling constantly. When I save Gotham I'll protect Alfred and one day even my soulmate nothing will stop me.