• Before •

2005
Under Pressure
David Bowie and Queen

"I'm so sorry we had to call you in, but she refused to come out." The teacher sighed and knocked on the stall again. "Y/N? Your father is here."

"Dad?"

"Hey baby Melody." He smiled warmly and crouched down on the other side of the door.

"I tried to coax her out. I cannot have her disrupting my-" her father held his hand up to stop the teacher's rambling and gave her a hard stern look. Without another argument Y/N' second grade teacher spun on her heels and made her way back to the classroom.

"Did she leave?" Y/N's small voice was barely audible through the wooden door this time.

"It's just us now. What's got you locked up in the janitor's closet sweets?" Her father leaned his back against the door knowing that she was in a similar position on the other side her knees pressed to her chest.

"It's-it's suffocating out there daddy." She sighed and let the tensions from her shoulders release. "And it's so hard daddy, they don't like me!"

Her father's head fell back against the door and he was the one to sigh this time. "They don't understand princess."

"Well make them understand!" She screamed in frustration. Her sobs started to rack up and tears were ready to pour.

"I'm sorry baby melody, but you know thats not how it works." Her father paused and ran a hand past his hair. "But it doesn't mean that you can't make it work. Just cause you aren't understood now. Doesn't mean that you'll be misunderstood forever. You of all people know what I am saying. Y/N this is one chapter of your life, and not all chapters shit rainbows and candy-"

"Language daddy!" He chuckled and nodded his head.

"Yeah, yeah, but listen darling every chapter. Every single one you write gets a little less suffocating. Promise me you'll keep writing?"

"I'm not good at-" she said.

"Why do you think that?" He interrupts.

"Because I can't write a good story."

"But you can write a good song can't you Y/N?" He challenges her this time, knowing she could easily give up on his last few words.

"I guess, but it's not the same." She shrugs.

"Sure it is!" He gasps and continues in a passionate state now. "You write songs all the time my darling! Hell you sing them too. Do you remember the one your mama use to sing to you? What was it again?"

"Mmm num ba de
Dum bum ba be" She smiled and started to hum the song aloud. "Doo buh dum ba beh beh. Pressure pushing down on me. Pressing down on you, no man ask for."

"You can't tell me that that's not a story?" It's a silent pause and he hears a quite shuffle of movement from the other side. He turns around on his knees as the doorknob twists and his little girl appears.

"Yeah, yeah I guess it is."

Under pressure that burns a building down
Splits a family in two
Puts people on streets.....