Remembrance

You walked home after your first day of school. It was okay. You didn't make any new friends and you mostly stayed quiet throughout all your classes. You walked toward the bus stop where Raymond was waiting. You walked up to him, and he smiled. "Took you long enough, Slowpoke!" Raymond said, giggling. You rolled your eyes at him. "Whatever." You said. "C'mon! I'm starving!" Raymond said. "Again? Lunch was only, what, 4 hours ago?" You said. "(Y/N), you know I love eating food. I get it from mom's side of the family!" Raymond told you. Of course, you already knew this. Raymond shared more of your mothers qualities. He was kinda chubby, loved eating, and is interested in cooking and baking. You on the other hand had your fathers qualities. You were entertaining, but quiet and more personal. At least, that's what your mom told you. You never really knew your father. He left your mom when you were 4 years old, and Raymond was 2 years old at the time. "Hey, (Y/N)?" Raymond started hesitantly. "Yea, Ray?" You asked. "Do you think dad will come back?" Ray asked. You thought for a moment. You remembered the faint memories of your dad playing with you, hugging you, reading with you, and him calling you his little marshmallow. And you remembered why that was his nickname for you. You got into a whole bag of marshmallows, and when he caught you stuffing the last ones into your mouth, he laughed it off, and bought more marshmallows so mom wouldn't get mad when she came home from work. You chuckled. Then, you remembered that dreadful day. The day he left. He left early in the morning. He left you, mom, and Raymond a note. But Raymond had never seen his note. You had it. At the time, he couldn't read, and you kept for safekeeping until he could read. You sighed. "It's... Not likely that he'll come back, Ray..." You said, almost about to tear up. But, you kept the pain on the inside. You both got to your house. You opened the front door, and the whole house was redecorated with furniture. "Mom must've decorated the place before going to work. Cool!" Raymond said. You sighed again. "Ray, follow me. I need to give you something..." You said, going upstairs. Raymond followed. You stepped into your bedroom, and dug in one of the boxes on the floor. You pulled out a small locked chest. You took one of the keys on your keyring, the smallest one, and opened the small chest. Inside were pictures of your once complete family. There were also two folded up papers inside, and a small necklace with a cute smiling marshmallow on it. You grabbed the paper that read on the front "To: Raymond From: Dad". You handed Raymond the paper without saying anything. Raymond grabbed the paper, unfolded it, and read it aloud. " Dear Raymond, You may not know me because you were too young to remember. But, even if you don't remember me, I still love you. I wish I could stay and watch you grow up, but I can't. At the moment you are reading this, I am dead. But I know that you can live your life to the fullest. Don't make the same mistake that I have made. Depression is a terrible thing, son. But I know you can get through it if you ever encounter it. You are my strong little boy and I could tell since the moment you were born. Don't ever give up. - Dad". Raymond read. Tears started to fall from his eyes. He looked up at you. He hugged you, crying. You hugged back. "I know..." You said. Raymond cried and cried. "Hey..." You said. Ray stopped hugging, and looked at you. "Everything's going to be alright." You said. Raymond smiled, still sad, but cheered up a bit because of your encouragement. You heard the front door open and close from downstairs. "Kids, I'm home!" You heard your mom said, as she started climbing up the stairs. Once she got to your room, she saw you hugging Raymond. She saw the small, now unlocked chest sitting on the ground. Raymond still had tears falling down his face. Your mom walked towards you and kneeled down, hugging both of you. Raymond sobbed even more onto your mom's shoulder. She started to cry as well. You wiped your tears away, watching them cry. "You know what? I'm going to make your fathers favorite dish tonight! Crab Macaroni Casserole! Do you want to make it with me, Raymond?" You mom asked. Raymond smiled and nodded. Your mom and Raymond walked downstairs, leaving you alone. You closed the door and read the note your father gave you. "Dear (Y/N), my little marshmallow, I love you so much. I wish I could be there everyday to see you and Raymond grow up. But today, I could not bear my depression any longer. At the time you are reading this, I have committed suicide. I am dead. It wasn't because of you, Raymond, or your mother. I have fighting depression before you were even born. And it has won the battle. But I don't want you or Raymond to face the same battle. Just because I am dead doesn't mean I am gone. I will always be with you. I wouldn't ever leave my sweet daughter, my strong son, or my loving wife. Not for the whole world. - Dad". You smiled. "I love you, dad..." You said. You put down the note. You almost went out the door, when you saw a strange light in your closet. You opened the closet door to see a hole in the wall. But when you saw it, there was no light. "Ugh. My tears must be blurring my vision." You said as you went downstairs to join your brother and your mother.