Prologue

I remember the first time I saw him. I had just gotten back home and was in a sour mood. The kids at school were just being cruel as usual; making mean comments and calling me some nasty names just because I had cancer. I used to defend myself and talk back, but lately I was tired of defending myself to people who didn't even want to understand.

Benjamin Edwards was talking to Esmeralda, my sister, and they looked like they were in deep conversation. However, once the house door creaked open they both looked my way. Deep hazel eyes stared at me. Now, I don't believe in love at first sight, but something deep inside me fluttered, and I had a feeling that this person was going to play a major role in my life.

"Rosa?"

I come out of my stupor as Benjamin's hand squeezes mine softly. I stare at those same deep hazel eyes that are staring back at me.

"Are you okay, love?" His eyebrows are knitted together with a deeply worried expression on his face.

I squeeze back. "Sorry, I just got lost in thought for a moment." I say, my voice soft and soothing. "What were you saying?"

His features contorts into excitement. "I was telling you that I have a surprise for you."

"You know that I don't like surprises." I look at him with a small pout.

"I know, love, but it's a really good surprise. I promise." His excitement is so contagious that I can't help but smile back at him.

"Okay." I murmur.

Benjamin drives us to his house. The whole way I could feel his excitement simmering down and being replaced with nervousness. He must have a really great surprise because he knows my dislike for them.

As soon as we are inside his house, his golden retriever, Rusty, starts wagging his tail and running towards me, making me lose my balance and fall on the floor laughing.

"I miss you too, Rusty." I scratch behind his ear making him groan and moan happily.

Benjamin outstretches his hand and I take it as he helps me on to my feet. He keeps his hand interlocked with mine as he walks us to his bedroom with Rusty on our heels. I scan the room and find nothing amiss, except for the little blue box in the center of the bed.

"Ben?" I sound as confused as I look.

"It's not what you think it is." He assures me. "Just open the box." He speaks softly.

With shaky legs, I walk to the bed, and pick up the box. I glance at Ben who nods and murmurs a go on. I start undoing the ribbon then open the box carefully. Inside is a beautiful heart shaped key holder.

"Thank you" I say honestly with a smile. It is a beautiful and thoughtful gift.

Benjamin chuckles and starts shaking his head. "That's not all, love." I give him a confused glance and watch him as he reaches inside pocket. "Rosa, I should've waited until your graduation to give you this, but I'm an impatient man." He gives me one of his infectious grins as he removes his hand from his pocket and reveals a key. "Move in with me, love." His eyes are nothing but adoring.

"I'd love nothing more." I cover my mouth with my hands as I try to stop myself from shedding happy tears.

Benjamin's smile is wide as he puts his hands around my waist and pulls me to him. I remove my hands from my mouth and place them around his neck as he plants a soft and sweet kiss on my lips.

"There you go." He gives me back my new key holder with his house key now attached to it.

"Thank you, love"

Cuddling on his living room sofa with Rusty sleeping peacefully on the carpet, we start discussing our plans for the future. I was going to attend the community college, to stay close to home, and work towards earning my business degree. Benjamin was discussing how he would like to quit his current job at the firm he's currently employed at and open up his own law firm. He is an ambitious person and he works hard to get what he wants, and I know that sooner rather than later he would turn his dream into reality.

"I would also like you to have my last name, but not before finishing college." I look up and he is staring down at me with the most loving eyes. "I want you to experience every phase in your life, Rosa. I don't want you to miss out on anything." You can clearly hear the sincerity in his voice.

"What about you?" I ask.

Benjamin understands perfectly well what I mean. We went into this relationship knowing there was an eight year difference between us. At the time, it didn't matter to us because age is only a number when love is involved, but I didn't want to feel guilty about living my life while he had to wait for me.

"I'll wait all eternity for you, love. A single minute with you is worth it all."

What we both didn't know was that no matter how much we planned our future, life had different plans for us. Plans that would break us apart.

**********
Remember to vote, share, comment, recommend, add ' Rewrite the Stars' to your reading list, and follow. :)