Chapter Fifteen - Breaking Ties

After leaving Benjamin's place this morning, I decide to go back home. What happened back at his house had my head spinning, but I didn't have time to think about it. I change into some clean clothes and make my way to work.

A patient is coming out of Dr. Wilkinson's office just as I enter. I feel like a deer caught in headlights. He looks at me through his glasses, but he doesn't say anything. Once the bell dinged announcing the patient's departure, I turn to Dr. Wilkinson.

"I'm so sorry I'm late."

"I'm guessing it was something important." He says as he enters his office with me on his heels.

"It was." I assure him.

"Trouble in paradise?" He asks and I start stuttering. Dr. Wilkinson chuckles. "I'm just messing with you, Rosalinda." I smile nervously. "Don't you have work that needs to be done?"

"Y... Yes."

He waves me off. "Off you go then."

At around noon, Layla drops by the medical practice holding two cups of coffee in her hands and two sandwiches.

"You can't be here." I tell her.

"Why not?" She asks me as she takes a sip of her coffee. "It's my lunch break."

"Well, it isn't mine yet."

Just then, Dr. Wilkinson comes out of his office and stares at us. "Oh, hi Layla."

"Hi, Dr. Wilkinson."

It's a small town so everyone knows everybody. Plus, Dr. Wilkinson has been treating patients in this town for god knows how long.

"Can I take Rosa out for her lunch break?" She asks him sweetly.

"I don't see anyone around here." He says. "Go ahead."

I grab my bag and walk out with Layla. We walk to the town square and take a seat on one the benches. Layla hands me a sandwich while she munches down on her own. I don't tell her about Cheryl because I don't know if I should. Cheryl has her own demons to work through.

"Have you talked to Wyatt recently?"

I shake my head no. "I haven't seen him after the last date."

"He's been asking about you a lot." She tells me as she takes another bite, but her eyes are on me.

I wince slightly. "I have to tell him that's it won't work out."

"Yes, you do." She agrees. "You can do it right now as well." She says in a cheery tone. "He and Noah are heading our way." She throws away the scraps of her sandwich.

I groan. "Why didn't you tell me you invited them?" Layla shrugs with a cheeky smile on her face.

"Hey, baby." She sing songs as she walks towards Noah and throw her arms around him before pressing a kiss on his mouth.

"Hey, Rosa." Wyatt smiles at me then takes the seat beside me.

"Hey." I return his smile.

"How have you been?" He asks me.

"Okay, I guess." I shrug.

"You don't seem okay." He argues.

I turn my body sideways so that I'm facing him. "Wyatt can we talk?"

"Sure."

"I don't know how to say this." Nervousness is clear in my tone. "We're not working out." I say quickly. "You're a really great guy. A wonderful one at that and any girl would be lucky to have you."

"Just not you." He tells me.

I shake my head. "Not me." I whisper sadly.

His eyes are no longer concentrating on me. "It's Benjamin, right?"

I shake my head. "It's me. I'm not ready for any type of relationship at the moment. I didn't want to lead you on anymore." I tell him. "I'm sorry." I add quietly.

"I kind of expected that." He tells me as he fixes his gaze on me. "You were never mine to begin with, but I'm really happy that I at least tried. I would've hated myself if I hadn't tried."

I give him a small smile and wrap my arms around him in a friendly hug. I really hope that he finds his lucky girl someday. He really deserves it.

I lay on my sofa at night with the TV on, but I'm not really watching. My mind is completely somewhere else. I just like to have some background noise. I'm brought out of my stupor when I hear the doorbell ring.

I open the door to find Benjamin standing there looking tired. I was not expecting him really.

"Can I come in?" He asks in a low voice. I nod and step to the side to let him in.

"You look tired." I tell him as he sits down on the sofa.

"Yeah, it's been a really long day."

I grab the remote control and switch off the TV. He probably can do without the noises.

"Have you eaten?" I ask him.

"No, I came here straight from work. I needed to see if you were okay."

"I'm fine." I shrug.

"Today has probably been a lot to sink in and you probably have a million questions." I nod meekly. I really do have a million and one questions. Benjamin chuckles. "Fire away."

"I'll heat you up dinner first." I offer.

"I'd love that." His voice is sincere.

He follows me to the kitchen where I heat up a plate of lasagna that I had made earlier. I look at Benjamin as the lasagna continues to heat up. He looks exhausted.

"Find something you like, gorgeous?"

I don't care that he has caught me staring. "You look exhausted."

"I am physically and emotionally drained." He tells me. "Today has been a really long day." He rubs his hand down his face.

Without thinking I move behind him and start massaging his neck and shoulders. Benjamin stiffens for a moment then visibly relaxes. "You don't have to do that Rosa." He tells me.

"I know, but I want to."

Benjamin's hand grabs mine and he places a soft kiss there before I go back to working on relieving his nerves.

I'm scared of where this thing between Benjamin and I is headed, but at this moment, I don't really care. I love taking care of him. I love that I'm the one who he thinks of at the end of the day. I love that he's here with me. Having said that, I'm frightened of where the end destination is going to be.

**********
Remember to vote, share, comment, recommend, add ' Rewrite the Stars' to your reading list, and follow. :)