#95

Mariana and David (2018)

Three years ago, my thirteenth birthday started it all. Dad said he had a special surprise for me that night. It didn't feel special at all.

The years had been hard on me, Dad coming into my room every night and leaving thirty minutes later. He said I was helping him be a man.

I didn't feel like a child when I should've been.

Flash forward three years and he still comes into my room at night. But, I always had someone there to talk to besides Dad. When Gabe left for college two years ago, Javier moved in. I could always talk to Kate and Javi.

Christmas Break

Gabe came back for three weeks.

Kate made a homecoming meal for him.

I got tired so I went to bed.

I was scared to go to sleep so I decided I would wait it out until Dad came in. One hour turned to three and three turned to five. I didn't even know I was asleep until I woke up to my door shutting and someone sitting on my bed. The time was eleven.

I didn't move to try and pretend I was still asleep. Dad put his hand on my cheek, resulting me quickly shutting my eyes. He moved some hair out my face.

I felt him shift more, then pull the blankets off of me. His other hand came to my thigh. Then I heard him fidgeting with his belt. There was no use pretending anymore. I opened my eyes and rolled over, making eye contact with him.

"You're awake, honey." He smiled down at me and put his hand on my neck.

He did his thing, then left me crying on my bed clutching my stomach and mouth to keep quiet.

I woke up the next morning feeling sick to my stomach. The thought of him touching me sickened me. I took a shower, then looked at the toilet. As if on cue, my body lurched forward and I fell to my knees as I puked last nights chicken into the bowl.

Kate must've heard me crying and puking from the hall and came to my side. She pulled my hair back and patted my back. When I was done, I wiped my mouth and washed my hands, then hugged her. I wish I could tell her but she wouldn't believe me.

"Are you okay, Mari?" She asked me, cupping my cheeks.

"Yes. I'm fine." I nodded my head quickly.

Dad didn't touch me for the rest of the week.

I made the mistake of wearing my new skirt Kate got me and couldn't wait until Christmas to give me.

I sat up in my bed that night, reading my book when Dad came into my room. I sighed and put it away.

"I'm sorry, Mari." He sat down on my bed and started crying. "I didn't think of your feelings and what would happen to you." He cried for a while longer before looking at me. I wanted to smile and laugh thinking about how this is the end to my pain and torment but then he leaned forward and kissed me.

I wanted to puke as he inserted his tongue in my mouth and grabbed my cheek. His other hand moved up my shirt, caressing me.

He forced me on my back, then pulled off my skirt. "This skirt looks so sexy on you, Mariana." He said to me.

He started, and my disappointment and pain got the better of me. I began to cry. "Hey, no crying." He tried to wipe my tears but they didn't stop. He kept going and I kept crying, and he must've forgot to lock the door because it burst open.

Time moved slow as I cried and I heard the yells of two men. Uncle Javi and Gabe came into view, and covered myself up as Dad got off of me. I wrapped myself in the sheets and ran over to Gabe. He wrapped his arms around me and I caught a glimpse of Javi punching Dad repeatedly as Gabe walked me out of the room.

I was brought to the hospital and a couple tests done.

The nurse walked in, asked if Javi and Gabe could leave. Kate is my mom so they of course let her stay.

"You're pregnant."