Part 9: Overclocked

Ironwood stood at the window, watching the factory bellow him with a hint of pride in his gaze. Seeing the rows of AK-200s being assembled, arms welded on their frames, dust tubes slotted into their cores, and knowing what they were capable of made him proud.

The true might of Atlas. A completely robotised military unit, never tired, not requiring food or rest and not slowed down by fatigue or emotion. The perfect war machines.

As he though this a small knock was heard at the door. Looking back he cleared his throat, adjusting his suit before admitting the person in.

"Enter."

The doors swung open and two guards stepped into the room, both offering a salute before addressing their general.

"Sir, we've returned from the task you've assigned us......and well, gathered mixed results." The first one said, uncertainty heavy in his voice. Though of the mission or the results who could say?

Ironwood nodded as his eyes wandered over their uniforms, unlike most of his soldiers these two wore a dark black and grey uniform with the insignia of a clenched fist on their shoulders. Their helmets covered their entire head and face, serving to conceal their identity as well as offer complete protection from all sides of their head. While the large pistol holstered across their lower back was the only visible weapon on their person he knew that was not the case, and any ordinary soldier would stand no chance against one of them even if they were unarmed.

Might not be as straightforward or efficient as Reaper, but they're reliable. Speaking of which...

"Give me a full report on the outcome." He said. The soldiers nodded and one placed his gloved hand on the table top, the lenses of his helmet flashing for a moment before the screen was projected, showing various pictures of a burnt down and utterly demolished building. Ironwood watched the pictures with interest, bringing up a picture of the factory before Reaper and Penny had their skirmish with the unknown enemy and comparing it with the burnt out shell that was left now.

The three floor building had been reduced to rubble by the immense blast, the stones and metal at the epicenter literally melted away. As he switched to an aerial view his eyes widened at the sight, everything around the factory for nearly a kilometer in radius was a burnt out husk, dead charred trees, scorched rocks, smoking corpses of various animals, even the Grimm avoided the area as they noticed the line of death stretching for nearly a kilometer around the forest.

Astonishing, the amount of destruction is more than anything our current weapons are capable of.

He looked up at the soldiers before switching the screen, moving away the pictures as his eyes moved over the written results of scans done in the area, both of the damaged area and the remaining debris from the factory. After carefully going over the reports he nodded and closed the screen, carefully thinking about the results while the two soldiers simply stood at attention while he lost himself in thought.

According to the scans, the residual energy has been discovered to have no relation or similarity to dust. Meaning that whatever they fought ran on an alternate power source.......something that far exceeded the energy levels dust is capable of generating......something like Reaper's-!

Ironwood's eyes snapped open at the thought, startling the two soldiers as he suddenly stood up, nearly leaping out of his chair as he reopened the pictures and went over them.

Slowly he carefully analyzed the structures before opening another picture, one the soldiers hadn't sent him, depicting a dark figure who's features were partially hidden in the shadows. However the glowing red eyes and dull red lines running along it's body were plainly visible, the dim glowing lines revealing bits and pieces of a slivery gray armoured body.