Part 14: The Raven and The Rogue

"Mmmm....."

Slowly Raven's eyes cracked open as the sun's rays began to shine onto her face, a tired groan escaping her lips as she rubbed her temple with her palm, trying to lessen the dull throbbing ache that pounded in her skull. Slowly she pushed herself up to a sitting position, peering out drearily at her surroundings before her brows furrowed in confusion as she gave the small room she was in a once over.

"Where....?"

"A small inn I am using for now." A familiar voice sounded from behind her.

Startled slight she whirled around to glance back at the voice, instantly regretting the decision to do so as the movement sent a fresh wave of nausea traveling through her body. With a second groan she pulled the covers over her head, rubbing her pounding temples with her palms as a small chuckle was heard from outside the covers.

"Don't worry, no one from your tribe knows you're here." Blackjack said as he walked past her, pulling the curtains closed and dimming the room back to a more tolerable level for her. 

"That's not my biggest concern at the moment...." Raven muttered, more to herself than to Blackjack as she stayed under the covers, her eyes watching his silhouette walk around the room through the covers before she laid back on her side, raising her arm to stretch with a sigh before she laid back down, trying to gather her thoughts. Of all the ways she pictured meeting him again, waking up drunk in his room hadn't been one of them.

A small smile formed on Danny's face under his mask as he moved around the room, gathering a few objects before mixing them together in a small beaker. Stirring the white liquid until it changed into a translucent, nearly clear substance, satisfied with the change he placed the cup on the bedside table before moving the the door.

"Drink that, it will help your stomach to settle, I'm going to get something for that headache."

Raven merely nodded in reply, waiting until she heard the door close behind him before she lowered the covers, pushing herself to a sitting position with a sigh before she turned her attention to the beaker, taking the glass in her hand before she raised it to her lips.

The cold, slightly sour mix went down smoothly and she leaned back against the headboard with a sigh as she quickly felt the effects of the drink began to set in. Her nausea gradually diminishing mere moments after drinking the strange concoction.

Grateful that she no longer felt nauseous she slowly got out of the bed, setting the beaker back down on the table before pausing, her eyes traveling down her arm as she was hit by the sudden realization that her armour was gone......as were her usual traveling clothes.

Her eyes widened in surprise as she glanced around the room, spotting her armour, mask, sword and clothes folded neatly and gathered in a pile next to a pair of briefcases. Her eyes quickly glanced back down to her body, narrowing as she saw what she was dressed in. 

Gone were the armoured gloves, jacket and skirt she normally wore, now having been replaced with a slightly baggy green shirt. The fabric slightly hanging from her shoulders as the hem of the shirt reached down to mid thigh, doing little to cover her legs, a sudden glance down showed that she still wore her underwear from last night and she breathed a small sigh of relief.

*Or Disappointment* her inner thoughts whispered to herself, causing a faint blush to form on her cheeks. Sighing she slowly made her way back to the bed sitting down and softly rubbed her eyes, before she could think of what to do the door suddenly opened and in walked Blackjack, carrying a small cup with him as he shut the door behind him and turned to face her.

"Here, this will do for your headache." He said as he passed her the cup, his brows furrowing in confusion as she gave him an odd glance, hugging her knees to her chest as he looked over her before softly smirking as realization set in.

"Why so upset? It's not like it's the first time I undressed you." He said as he set down the cup beside the beaker, his words causing her to blush as they brought back memories of the events he was talking about.

"......Cocky bastard...." She muttered as she took the cup, sighing contently as the fragrant scent of various herbs hit her senses. Downing the tea rather quickly she looked back up at him, lowering her eyes as she met his gaze, though more from a lack of confidence than anything.

Fortunately he stepped in, dirrecting the conversation elsewhere as he sat down beside her.

"What happened Raven? I've never seen you so upset before...." Gone was the joking, teasing tone. His voice now full of concern as he took off his mask to look at her.

Slowly she met his gaze, her serious expression slowly breaking as she thought back to what she saw. The bodies of her tribe members mutilated and burned, the camp and their dwellings up in flames, only the people that had been with her on the raid had survived. 

"....They were massacred....I came back from the raid to my camp in ruin and my tribe.....despite all my power there was nothing I could do for them." She said quietly as his hand slowly enveloped hers, for a moment she felt a small sense of comfort knowing that he was with her. And that now she wasn't alone.

"...Now all I can do for them is to find the one who did this....and avenge their deaths." She said. With a nod Danny slowly took both of her hands in his, making her look up into his eyes before he spoke.

"We won't have to look far, I already have several contacts keeping an eye out for any similar incidents. We will find this person, it's only a matter of time. And when we do find them, I will be right there with you."

Surprise flashed over Raven's face for a brief moment before nodding in agreement at his words, softly looking down at their hands before slowly leaning forward, resting her head against his shoulder as his arm moved around her waist. Nothing was said for a while as she remained there in his embrace, her arms slowly moving around his neck as she leaned her head against his chest. His arm tightened its hold around her waist, keeping her close while his other hand softly caressed her cheek. Slowly her gaze moved up, meeting his eyes before he leaned close, his lips softly brushing over her forehead in a tender kiss, her eyes closing again at the feeling before she tightened her embrace.

"...Don't leave me Danny....." She whispered in a tone almost too quiet for him to hear, her arms wrapped around him tightly almost as if she was afraid he'd disappear the moment she let go. Softly his fingers traced over her jawline, gently cupping her cheek in his palm as he looked into her eyes.

"Never again Raven, I promise..." He replied, slowly leaning closer as she moved forward, her lips softly meeting his as he pulled her close, her arms wrapping around his neck as she kissed him back tenderly.