Part 13: Imprisonment

Synchronizing DNI.....

Error: Secondary conduit offline, manual reboot is recommended.

Slowly Reaper removed his hand from Penny's left eye, his optic sensors moving over his palm before they moved back, zeroing in on the smaller androids prone form. While the damage to her endoskeleton and motor systems had been repaired, she remained immobile for some unknown reason. 

With Doctor Watts currently MIA the only other person that would be able to provide a valid diagnosis of Penny's systems was Reaper, by syncing his DNI to her sensory core he would be able to perform a clear scan and determine the best way to restore her to her former state.

While the plan was simple in theory, it was proving to be a bit more complicated then anticipated. 

Slowly Reaper reached out again, placing his cold metal fingers over Penny's eye, the tips vibrating slightly before a sudden jolt of energy was channeled into her prone form. Using his DNI Reaper watched as the pulse traveled through her systems, slowly causing them to re-activate one by one only to once again die down the moment the current began to reach her central processor. The instant it did her systems were immediately rendered inert, the power draining out of her circuits like water through a sieve, leaving her motionless on the table as her systems shut down once again.

Unconsciously the war machine's fingers began to curl into fists, somehow seeing his partner, Penny, in such a state.....it irked him, gave him a sense of....unease. Gradually he turned away from the table where she was laid on, slowly turning to look at one of the several assistants for Dr. Watts, getting his attention before addressing him.

Query: Has the core processor of unit designated Penny Polendina been damaged in any way?

The assistant looked up at him, startled at the unexpected dialogue before he replied in a wary tone.

"N-no, according to the energy readings and levels, Penny's core seems to be preforming normally.....The engineers haven't found any flaws in her data banks or central circuits. The only thing amiss currently is that her circuits somehow lack power despite her core functioning at normal capacity, thus reverting her into a state of stasis."

Acknowledged: Processing data.......

Query: Would it be possible to diagnose her condition via a direct internal link with the core?

The assistant's eyes widened at his words, though this time more out of worry then surprise.

"W-Well......in theory yes it is. But preforming such a delicate procedure on something as volatile as her central core without Dr. Watts' oversight is.....very risky to say the least. One false step and her core could implode....."

......Risky, but not impossible

Acknowledged. Prepare the lab and the workshop, relocate Penny to the A.R.C. and keep her systems stable until I am able to link with her core.

"W-well with all due respect......I d-don't think you have the authorization to use the A.R.C." 

Upon hearing his words Reaper's hands began to unconsciously tighten into fists, slowly he raised his hands, quickly entering in a few commands in the small screen on his right forearm, quickly turning back towards the assistant once he was finished. 

Repeat statement: Relocate Penny Polendina to the A.R.C. and keep her systems stable. Authorization code EWR115638.

Just then the man's scroll lit up in his coat pocket, with a suspicious glance towards the robot he reached into his pocket, retrieving his scroll before looking at the screen. His eyes widening at the sight before slowly nodding.

"U-understood....we'll have her transferred immediately sir..."

With a nod Reaper turned away, slowly moving his hand over his arm to switch off the small display, the screen flashing once with the words 'override successful'before it shut down.

Hang on Penny.

................................................................................................................................................................

With closed eyes Penny hugged her knees close to her chest as her head rested against her legs, Slowly tightening her grip as she felt it again, a sudden jolt of energy that rippled through her frame. Traveling through her body before It was expelled from her circuits, traveling across the ground in a rippling wave, moving further and further before eventually colliding with the same barrier that had stopped the first pulse.

Slowly she ducked her head back down, cowering at the sight of the dark wall that encompassed her on all sides. Swirling pools of dark shadows danced across the surface of each wall as they crept a little bit closer towards her at a tedious but steady pace. 

Her blades would do her no good here, having shattered them long before in a frantic attempt to escape this unknown prison, only for her swords to suddenly break apart on contact. The wall then responded in kind, sending out Spears of dark shadow to impale her in her arms and legs, the exact same places where that pyro freak had stabbed her with his knives.

Then came the sharp burning sensation, as if acid was being drizzled onto her circuits. Though no damage had been done to her core her entire body was in overdrive, fighting the residual burn as the spears disappeared from her limbs one by one, ripping apart different sections of her skin and chassis to expose the wires and circuiting beneath. A hollow, broken laugh had escaped her lips when the burning had finally subsided.

"So...this...is pain...."

With trembling hands she pushed herself back to her feet. Glancing down at the shattered blades before moving her gaze back up to the walls, watching them pulsate and ripple as they began closing in towards her. In a last attempt at escape she grabbed one of the shards of metal lying at her feet, hefting it up in her palm before hurling the jagged point into the barrier with full force. Upon impact the wall responded much in the same way before, sending out spikes of dark shadowy matter into the metal, suspending it in the air for several moments before it was ripped apart. The spikes shredding through the steel like tissue paper before returning back to the barrier which then continued its way forward. 

Cowering at the sight she covered her head with her hands, seeing the dark field slowly encompassing her entire field of vision in a giant bubble while closing in on her small form. With closed eyes she waited for the painful crushing sensation to enfold her.....only to be met with nothing.

Slowly, cautiously she peeked out around her, puzzled as to why the barrier had stopped, in fact......it seemed to have been...pushed back somehow?

At that moment she felt it, a warm but invigorating surge of energy emanating from her core. Slowly the surge began travelling through her circuits, moving outward from her core and somehow revitalizing her body, sending away the phantom jabs of pain that had been caused from the dark spikes and gradually causing her machinery to slowly knit back together.

Gradually her entire body began to suddenly feel alive again, the energy continuing its course through her frame before suddenly being expelled from her circuits in a outwards pulse. Her optic sensors were able to see the energy as it traveled outward, slowly moving across the ground like a ripple on a lake surface with her at the center. Eventually it hit the barrier surrounding her, only instead of dissipating on contact as she expected, the energy flared up bright as it began to slowly push back the dark field. Managing to sent it a good ways away from her before it abruptly burned out.

As she wondered what or who had caused the pulse her auditory sensors suddenly picked up something, a faint but definite whisper, one who's voice she knew all too well.

Hang on Penny

Slowly a small tremulous smile formed on her lips, as she relaxed in the small sense of comfort knowing that Reaper was still looking after her. She knew that despite the circumstances, he would find a way to free her from this nightmare, no matter what he had to do.