4

Benvolio followed Mercutio as he made his way towards the bar.

Don't mess this up. Don't mess this up.

"Ain't nice drink?" Fuck.

"Benny, we haven't gotten anything yet. Eager?" Mercutio laughed and Benvolio could feel his stupid heart flutter behind his rib cage.

Stay there, dumb organ.

"You're right!" He grabbed two wine filled glasses off the tray and handed one to his companion, like any gentlemen ought to.

Merc grinned, showing off his perfect teeth. Benvolio could've swore he saw a glimmer of something when he winked at him.

God, strike him dead but he just wanted to reach out and pull him closer by that unbuttoned shirt. This night will be a tough one.

-a few hours later-

Benvolio let himself unwind with every next drink. They've stopped dancing long ago and now were slowly sliding off the love seat in a fit of giggles. Some of Mercutio's friends were already passed out on the floor around them, having partied properly.

"Whoo, alright." There was a moment of silence before they erupted in laughter once again.

Merc climbed to his knees and turned to Ben, as there was no space to even crawl. In turn, Benvolio felt himself do an inner backflip and pressed up against the love seat more. What in lord's name is happening?!

Mercutio laughed again and leaned in towards Benvolio's ear.

"Benny, listen," he was so thankful he drank so much that his blush could have been excused by excessive wine consumption. Merc's words were slurring too.

Stop holding your breath.

"The point is... Dolphins!" And he fell back over the edge, onto the floor with his other friends, holding his stomach and wheezing histerically.

"Merc, where's Romeo?" He felt himself sobering up a bit and desperately needed something to stop him from spilling the truth right then and there. "We're going to find Romeo."

"But Benny," he started to get up slowly and cocked his head to the side, the most frustrating and innocent look on that perfect fucking face.

"Get up, Mercutio. We don't want him to get in trouble again, right?" He grinned at the end, encouraging teamwork.

Even if Mercutio was shorter he could definitely intimidate someone as calm and collected (at least on the outside) as Benvolio.

Or maybe he just had a massive soft spot for the other.