Chapter 2: The Scavenger

Warning: This chapter contains a brief mention of nudity, as well as a torture scene.

Back at the Resistance Base on D'Qar, life pretty much went on as normal...for most people, anyway. Calista Amme was on edge. She hadn't heard from Jon since he'd left. In times like this, it was customary for them to keep in touch with each other whenever possible. Yet Jon hadn't even attempted to contact her.

"I'm sure there's a perfectly good explanation," Calista said as she stared up at the ceiling of the bunk-room she and Jon shared. "Jon's probably very busy. Or, maybe, he just lost track of time. It's surely nothing to worry about." But Calista still worried nonetheless. When she couldn't stand waiting any longer, she went to the command center, hoping to talk to the one person she knew would really understand what she was feeling. And that person was Leia. Calista found the older woman talking to Snap.

"Hey, Leia," Calista began, tapping her on the shoulder. She waited for the General to dismiss Snap and turn around to face her. "Sorry to bother you, but it's Jon and Poe. I'm worried about them."

"Actually, so I am," said Leia. "And I recognize what you're going through. Worrying about Jon. Wanting him to be safe. Wondering if you'll ever see him again. I can't tell you how many times I experienced that with Han. Honestly, I still feel that way, even though I haven't seen him in so long."

"And you're also worried about, Jon, too, right?" asked Calista.

"He's my son," Leia answered. "Of course I'm worried about him. Not to mention, Poe and BB-8, too." Then Major Brance came up to Leia. He was holding a transmission, which he handed to her. She quickly skimmed through it.

"This transmission came in from Jakku," Brance explained. "And as you can see, General, the Tuanul village there was wiped out, by First Order Stormtroopers. Also, Lor San Tekka is dead."

"What about Jon and Poe?" asked Leia. "Have you heard anything about them?" Calista's heartbeat picked up speed, and her eyes frantically darted between Leia and Brance.

"That's the part I'm afraid to tell you about, Ma'am," said Brance.

"Tell me, please!" Leia demanded.

"Yes, please! Come on, Brance! Spit it out!" Calista interjected.

"Very well, then," Brance said with a sigh. "Both Jon's and Poe's X-wings were found destroyed. The angles and depths of the blaster marks suggest the ships were blown up while they were still on the ground. There's no doubt this was the work of the First Order Stormtroopers. The locals don't have access to that kind of weaponry."

"Also, provided he was still alive at this time, I know Lor San Tekka would never order the villagers he lives with to fires on Resistance personnel," said Leia. "Especially Jon, whom he's known for so long."

"Also, there's nothing to indicate that Jon or Poe survived," Brance added. "It looks like we lost them."

"No!" Calista breathed. Leia's expression hardened, but she remained silent as she continued to browse the report.