Never There (part two: end)

A/N: wow i hate this lmao

It hasn't been that long since Newt packed his bags (or rather, his suitcase) and left your apartment and your relationship. Things were left unresolved and neither of you was sure where you stood with each other. Should you see other people? Or should you fix what seemed unfixable? You didn't know yet. Your heart still too torn to try and do anything other than weep alone in your house.

You still went about your day, of course. You went to work, talked to friends, maybe ate out a little more than you used to... But whenever you got home, you were so exhausted. Couldn't do anything but go to your room and let the hours pass idly until somehow you fell asleep and awoke to your alarm the next morning.

You felt pathetic. Of course you did. Not only had you felt like you wasted so much time with Newt, a relationship that apparently was leading nowhere, according to him, but you felt awful for being so affected by him. You both had been friends for so long, and then lovers, and it was wonderful. Newt was wonderful. But why let a man affect your mood so much? You were so much better than this, you thought. You needed to have standards. Newt... men like him always come and go. You need to move on, one way or another.

Once you moved on, perhaps you could be friends again. Like you said, Newt was wonderful. Both wonderful as a companion and a lover. You believe that after enough time, you could talk to him again and just go back to before. Forget what happened and laugh together about something else.

Moving on isn't easy, though. You weren't the type of person to drink away sorrows or sleep them away with strangers, either. You weren't looking for romance again, and you probably wouldn't be for a while. You just needed a friend to talk to more than anything. But who would that friend be?

You supposed... well, maybe it wasn't the best idea, but...

You had rung her home without thinking much of it, and surprisingly she was able to pick up. She seemed rarely to be home, but maybe it was your lucky day. You didn't give much detail, just said you needed to relax and talk to someone familiar. She was there for you, always, she told you over the phone, and you would meet for dinner today. 'Why wait?' she asked.

So when the clock hit the appropriate hour, just 6 o'clock, you left your home and walked for the expensive manor where Lita was waiting for you.

---

When you arrived, Lita was as dazzling as usual. Her expensive clothes fit just right around her body, letting her look lovely in a mature yet still modest way. She was certainly holding the image of fiancé to a war hero. Her painted lips and rosy cheeks moved with her smile as she greeted you, her eyes surrounded with a smoky shadow from makeup. "Great to see you," she says. "Come in!"

"Thank you for inviting me so soon, I hope I'm not barging in on anything," you say, a little overwhelmed and embarrassed being in such a rich home.

"Nonsense. I'm glad you wanted to come over. Theseus isn't home yet but he'll be here in time for dinner."

Must be nice, you couldn't help but think.

Lita leads you to the first-floor living room, where there's a soft and velvet couch and seats and slick hardwood floors. Everything in this room probably cost more than your entire apartment.

LeStrange sits you down on the couch, next to her and she doesn't hesitate to hold your hand. You smile at her friendliness since you haven't felt someone so pure be happy to have you in a while. "How is Theseus, anyhow?" You ask, wanting to keep the conversation flowing.

"He's alright. Stressed with the crimes of England, but we manage. I'm happy we get to work together the way we do, we're fortunate for that." You see her twiddling with her engagement ring. You can't help but be envious. Lita has such a dreamlike life, it was hard not to be. But you knew Lita had more than enough of her own hardships. She deserved this.