fifteen

✳︎

✳︎

They had planned it all down to the very last detail. Even if they had argued over each detail, with one of the centaurs often taking on the role of mediator, they had planned it. They had a plan. They wouldn't go into this blind. That was good for Phoebe's peace of mind. Her last battle hadn't exactly turned out amazingly, and having a plan to fall back on helped her organise her mind.

She supposed it was good to have a plan, especially if what Caspian was saying about the keep was true. It had never been taken in all of Telmar's reign. They had a high standard to live up to. Their scouts were reporting unprecedented numbers of soldiers gathering at Beruna, which was nerve-wracking for an entirely different reason. For now, she could forget about them. They weren't defending the keep, so they weren't important. The army at Beruna was a problem for a different day.

Phoebe had barely left Peter's side for the past day they'd spent planning. In all fairness, he hadn't tried to avoid her either - he'd been constantly at her side just as much as she was at his. Even if they weren't completely all over each other, it was having him there next to her that counted. Phoebe could remind herself that this was real, he was real, and he was there for her. It was nice, knowing that. Knowing that he was there when she needed him.

Peter had also been calmer in the meetings. Even if he and Caspian had argued still (Phoebe wasn't a complete miracle worker), she'd seen them agree at least twice. Baby steps, but still steps. And, well, they had a plan of attack. Days before now, Phoebe doubted they would have made it past the first stage of planning.

The day after their final meeting was when they would (hopefully) take the keep. They would sneak in under the cover of night, the most important participants going in undercover. They would be carried by gryphons. Edmund was going to signal the centaurs, who would be waiting with the full extent of their army. Phoebe knew Reepicheep had a role to play too, although she didn't quite know what the mouse was responsible for. Whatever it was, Phoebe was sure he'd do it well.

Lucy, much to her displeasure, was staying back. Phoebe knew that Peter wanted to protect his youngest sibling, but she had still felt bad for the girl when she'd seen her face fall. Phoebe understood the feeling, and she knew it wouldn't be easy for Lucy, waiting back at the base. She would have no idea whether any of them were still breathing, and Phoebe knew that would be terrifying for the younger girl.

Phoebe didn't have much of an idea as to what her role would be when it came down to it. She knew that she was going in with the others, but what she was going to do after that was unclear. Hopefully, if it all went to plan, they'd be in and our in hours.

The hours before they were preparing to leave flew by all too swiftly. It was as if time passed in a blur. Phoebe didn't quite process anything which went past her. She knew that at some point, she and Peter had split paths, and that she had spent some time alone in her room, just trying to wrap her head around it all.