seventeen

✳︎

✳︎

Phoebe had barely left Peter's side for a moment on their way back to the palace. After all, she had thought she was going to lose him, and if she was honest, she was still rather shaken by the whole affair. Phoebe knew that the battle hadn't gone entirely to plan, and she knew it could have gone better for the Narnians, but at that moment she couldn't really bring herself to think on it for too long.

Even as she'd been walking under Peter's arm, simply content to be near him, Caspian had been practically a statue. He'd barely spoken a word, and Phoebe could bet on why. Caspian had taken each and every loss personally - Phoebe knew Peter had too, but at least she was there to distract him for now. Caspian had none of the same comforts.

She could tell Caspian was itching to let his anger loose. His hands were clenched in fists at his side in some effort to hold it in, but it was strained. Phoebe knew that Peter hadn't exactly made the right call back at the keep, but it was all said and done now. He had made the decision for the right reasons, she was sure of it.

"You could have called it off. You could have called it all off, and you didn't. There was still time!" Caspian whirled around abruptly, his effort to keep his anger under wraps breaking free. Each and every word was harsh and biting, and his spite was clear. Phoebe felt Peter tense up beside her, and she put her arm around him, squeezing slightly. Any slight comfort she could give him was enough. She could sense that Peter too was near breaking point, and Caspian lashing out like he was surely wasn't helping. She made eye contact with Caspian, beseeching him silently to calm down.

"Caspian, please-" Caspian shook his head, turning around once more in order to cut her off. "Caspian, slow down!"

"No, Phoebe, I won't calm down! There was time to call off the whole thing, and your- your boyfriend or whatever didn't! He's the reason those soldiers are dead!" Peter's arm tightened around her, and she glanced up, concerned. Peter seemed almost emotionless, and Phoebe knew that was not a good sign.

"Time? There wasn't any bloody time, thanks to you!" Caspian spluttered as Peter spoke, but he continued regardless. "If you had stuck to the plan and not bothered with Miraz, those soldiers might be alive! It's not my fault, Caspian. You're not blameless here!"

"Maybe if we had stuck to my plan and stayed here, all those soldiers would definitely be alive! Get off your high horse, and admit you were wrong!" Peter was bristling now, practically up on his haunches. He never had been one to back down from a fight, and Phoebe doubted Caspian knew just what was coming for him.

"You called us here, remember? You wanted our help, and now you think you're all high and mighty?" Phoebe balked at Peter's words, and she remembered just how excited Caspian had been when he learned that the Kings and Queens of old had returned to Narnia.

"That was my first mistake." Caspian's voice went low then, trembling with anger. Phoebe reeled at the words, and she felt Peter jolt back as if he'd been struck. She supposed that, in a way, he had. Caspian couldn't have truly meant that. He just couldn't have.