Gin

A shriek lit through the air, as sudden and jarring as a siren. Ginevieve Santos, though, didn't even react. She was accustomed to Liz's theatrics by now. She screamed every time she lost, and when it came to one of Gin's games, that was often.

Gin didn't bother to hide her grin, deep wine lips stretched to reveal pearly whites. The chips clanked together as she raked them across the velvet. Her pile was four times as large as anyone else's, but that was the way these things usually went. She settled back in her chair as Henry dealt the cards again.

"It gets a little boring when we never have a chance," Mickey grumbled from his spot to her left. He always got a little sore when he lost, but she knew it wasn't his bank account she was making a dent in, only his pride.

Gin brushed her cropped blond hair back before she answered, "Mick, dear, you have to know when you go against the superior sex you are going to lose."

"Come on, Gin," Henry drawled from his seat, "go easy on him. He doesn't lose often."

"Does that apply to all areas of his life?" Liz giggled. "I heard he lost the ability to-"

Mickey cut her off with a sneer, "Why don't you ask your mother Liz? Worked fine for her."

"Don't be vulgar, Mick." Gin chided absently, already studying her cards. Three aces, a club, a heart, a diamond, and with one wave of her hand, a spade. Four of a kind. Posi-tive-ly perfect.

She took the chance to study her friends, their faces furrowed as they studied their cards, concentrating on beating her. This was one of their many rituals, Friday night card game. No matter what was going on elsewhere they could be found in this same room, decorated like a cliche boys room and smelling of cigars more expensive than some cars. Almost every other peer they had would kill to join them in her father's game room. Friday night poker was a legend in Wildwood halls.

Who wouldn't want to be in the inner circle of the golden four? Mickey Wilde, Henry Kingston, Elizabeth Warren, and of course herself, the adopted daughter of the mayor, Ginevieve Santos. Gin to her friends. She was the last addition to their group, but ever since they had found her in the ninth grade, all bite, and no bark, she had never needed anyone else. She had been so lonely then, after the summer that everything changed, but she didn't allow herself to think of that anymore. She had new friends. 

 It helped that they fit into the image her mother required of her. A Santos is all class, she could hear her adoptive mother's voice even now. Although, Gin was a strong believer in what she didn't know wouldn't hurt her. She certainly couldn't be faulted for having a little fun while she was still young and beautiful.

"Gin, your cards?" Liz's voice brought her back to the game, everyone else's cards already laid out.

Mick was smirking, sure that she was going to lose since she hadn't even had the chance to discard, but a quick glance showed that she still had the winning hand. Of course. What good would magic be if she didn't?

With an exaggerated movement, she laid her cards out, all four aces shining brightly. Mick groaned loudly, "That's it for me. I'm out."

"That was a record Gin." Liz clapped, "I'm out too."

Liz's phone chimed and she grabbed it, face falling as she read the screen. "Oh, Susanna said everyone is looking for Hailey Burkes. I guess she never made it home last night."

"Probably found someone to finally have some fun with." Mick supplied, "She was always a tight one."

"Don't be an ass, Mick." Liz chided, "This is serious. No one has heard from her since school yesterday. Not even on social media."