Don't go in

Mads barely had time to react. Screams sounded beside her, and the heat seared even as she threw her hands up in front of her, squeezing her eyes shut. Deep breaths, she called the fireball to her. The simplest of spells, one of the first she had learned to master. How to wield elements. 

One beat, two, and she finally opened her eyes. The fireball was contained in her hands, the heat that was scalding now a minor burn.  With a whispered direction she sent the fire to the candles along the walls, the flames jumping high for a moment before settling back down. She could smell something sickly sweet and her eyes strayed. The boy next to her, sharp features and a mess of freckles. The blue wolf mask was next to him, drowning in a spreading pool of blood. She kept waiting for him to move, to be okay, but it never came. Mad's swallowed hard and looked past him. 

Five of them were still standing; the gray cat, emerald hare, burnt-orange tiger, ochre owl, and herself, the white feathers of her mask probably singed now. The violet doe lay spread across the floor just like the wolf, her mousy brown hair singed. She writhed on the floor, whimpering. Mad's was thankful she couldn't see her face. Wolf boy would be the main character in her nightmares for a long time. 

She dragged her gaze away. The ringing in her ears started to fade, and she could hear the murmurs of the crowd. Finally, chest heaving even though she hadn't exerted herself, she found her Aunt's golden fox mask in the crowd, the metallic edges catching the light and glinting like the fire she had held. Evie was a statue, so still Mad's wondered if it was really her. But then one corner of her ruby mouth lifted. A slight smirk of approval. 

Mads could feel an unfurling in the pit of her stomach, rage hot and deep. Her Aunt had gone on and on about this coven and Mad's preparing, and then couldn't even give her a freaking warning? She didn't get the chance to think further on it though.

"Congratulations." The booming voice of the bull sounded again, drowning out the quiet moans of the doe behind her, "Five of you are still standing. You've passed your first test. Let me warn you though, that the rest will not be as easy. Over the course of the next few weeks, you will prove that you want this coven. You will sacrifice, because only through sacrifice can we achieve great things."

"But it is not for nothing. You will give, but your rewards will be much greater." He waved a hand towards the hopefuls and five black robes broke from the crowd to come towards them, "Please, take the rest of the evening to enjoy the party. Get a taste of what exactly you will be gaining from the Scarlet Serpent."

The crowd in front of them turned away, the spectacle of the first trial apparently over as quickly as it had begun. Mads looked around, bewildered. What about the two that hadn't passed? What would happen to them? But no one else seemed worried. In fact, the black robes that had broken from the crowd first were already carrying the bodies of the doe and wolf away. Mad's couldn't tear her gaze away from the girl's swinging brown hair as they disappeared into the shadows. 

"Well done." 

Mad's turned to see Evie at her side. Her smirk was still in full effect, a satisfaction that didn't reach her eyes. 

"Why didn't you warn me?" Mad's asked, tone sharp.

Evie scoffed, "I've told you of the coven for so many years. Did you not consider that they would think of the many ways one could cheat to better the chances of their legacies making it in? Of course they have."

Mad's scowl deepened, "What would have happened if you told me? Or tell me of anything that's going to happen?"

Evie lifted a glass from one of the trays passing around, the gold disk floating through the crowd, "A very unfortunate death. For the both of us."