< E I G H T >

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song--------------}

< E I G H T >

“Arden?”

Arden’s wolf dips it’s massive head but lifts it’s glowing yellow eyes to look up at their mate. Kayla is still wrapped around Sam while sobbing into his shoulder but Sam’s is barely even focused on it. His gray eyes are all on her other form as it sits stained in blood and among the dead bodies of the intruders.

“No. That’s impossible.” He says shaking his head.

Kayla sputters, “I saw it! She turned into that giant…thing and she tore those guys apart without a second thought! She’s not human!”

“Kayla.” May reprimands her niece, “She’s the same person she was before. You’re being ignorant and disrespectful.”

“It’s her fault!” Kayla shrieks, “We could have been killed or worse! She should have never come here. She’s a freak!”

Arden’s wolf reels back like she’s been stricken. Looking away from Kayla’s hysterics she looks at Sam who isn’t looking at her anymore but is gently prying Kayla off of him and handing her to May. May tries to soothe the girl, as she breaks into another round of sobs before they both walk back into the house.

Sam’s eyes collide with hers and Arden feels a stirring in her chest at the impassive look in his gaze. His face reveals nothing as he slowly walks towards her making Arden notice how much more pronounced it is at the moment. Has he hurt it? Did Kayla jumping on him injure him further? Arden’s wolf growls at the thought making Sam stop walking abruptly.

Lowering her head in submission she cuts off her growl and instead crawls forward a bit on her belly towards him. She stops after having advanced half a foot before placing her head back on her paws looking up at him looking as contrite as she can. He keeps walking towards her but this time even slower then before, cautiously, and that’s something Arden and her wolf really don’t like.

Slowly and a bit clumsily he gets down on one knee, his good knee she notes in relief, and sits before her. With as much aching slowness as everything else he extends an arm out towards her with his hand palm up. Realizing pretty quickly what he’s doing Arden scoots a bit more forward making him flinch back and her to whine loudly.

“Uh…Sorry.” He apologizes sheepishly, “Your just so…big.”

If Arden were in her human form she’s be grinning but instead she just lets her tongue lull out and begins panting with her best wolf grin. Sam smiles a little back and pushes his large hand closer to her. Seeing this as a big step as shuffles a bit closer before releasing her tongue again and licking up the callused palm of his hand. He tastes as great as he smells, Arden notes with a moan, she wants to taste more but she can’t. She needs to know that he doesn’t feel the same way as Kayla does about her.

She doesn’t want Sam to think she’s scary or freaky.

“Your still in there.” Sam breathes seemingly surprised by how tame she is. “Your still Arden, right?”

Arden looks up at him and nudged his hand with her snout.

“I’ve never seen a white wolf before.” Sam muses out loud.

Arden rubs her face against his hand and he jerks a bit before beginning to pet her head making sparks shoot through her. A wolf can’t purr but there are other signs of her happiness at his supposed acceptance of her gift. She opens her mouth a bit and pants while her tail begins to wag back and forth. Sam’s gaze seems to fall on her tail and his eyes widen in surprise.