< N I N E >

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song------------}

< N I N E >

Arden’s eyes open but she doesn’t feel very rested.

Sam is asleep on the couch downstairs and Farah had opted for sleeping in her wolf form on the porch instead of sleeping inside. Kayla and May are asleep in May’s room if the sound of their heartbeats is any indication and Arden isn’t in any hurry to talk to them. Considering Kayla’s less then enthused reaction to Arden’s abilities she was sure they didn’t want to see her either.

She can’t help but think about the odd tension she has been sensing between Sam and Farah. Farah seems to go out of her way to make Sam pissed and Sam seems to be completely annoyed with her only friend. She doesn’t think it’s sexual tension since Farah isn’t a woman who looks twice at men. Sam, on the other hand, is Arden’s soul mate, it may not be as intense for him since he’s human but she hopes he’d respect that.

Shaking off that train of thought she gets dressed. Pulling on a peach colored sundress with small white flowers printed on it she doesn’t bother to wear anything else, not even shoes. They’ll just become extra baggage when she needs to shift. She doesn’t bother doing anything with her hair either before walking down the stairs towards the lower level of the house.

Her heart triples in speed when she sees the sight before her. Sam is asleep on the couch but this time he’s shirtless, only wearing a pair of jeans and a brown leather belt. His tanned chest, marked with burn scars is highlighted from the sunbeams peeking through the blinds. They cover his entire left pectoral and half his rib cage as well as his shoulder down to his elbow. His arms is thrown over his eyes so she can’t see his sleeping face but she can’t help but drool a bit at the sight before her.

“Do you love him?” A soft voice asks.

Arden turns unsurprised to see Kayla looking at her curiously. Arden can’t stop the guilt welling in her chest as she looks at the seventeen year old before her. Though Kayla has been cleaned of blood and dirt her left eye is bruised, she has a cut on her right cheek and her lower lip is split. There are other bruises Arden can’t see in the light blue long sleeved shirt and the cloud patterned sleep pants she’s wearing but she can see stiffness in Kayla’s movements.

“Kayla, I’m so sor—“

Kayla holds her hand up, “Answer my question.”

“Yes. I love him.”

“You’ll love him no matter what?”

Arden frowns in confusion, “Of course I will. Why wouldn’t I?”

Kayla sighs, “I need to know you wont abandon him.”

“I wouldn’t.” Arden promises.

“Good. Then…I approve.”

Arden opens her mouth but Kayla cuts her off again, “I had time to think about it. I’m not scared of you anymore. May was right, you protected us the best you could and I get that but it’s still strange for me.”

“I understand that.”

“So are you going to tell him?”

“Tell him what?”

Kayla rolls her bright blue eyes, “That you love him.”

Arden blushes immediately, “Not yet.”