Chapter One - The Doctor And Her Sidekick

I've always loved children. I mean, some can be right pains in the ass, but the others can be really cool. In the past few years, I've taught in many different schools. I've taught many different year groups. My favourite by far is reception (four to five year olds). But at this particular school, I am blessed with teaching the bundles of joy that are year six (Ten to eleven year olds). Some are great, but as I've said before, some are pains.

Let me tell you about one boy. His name is Jamie, he's eleven years old and just one of those pains in the ass. Like seriously, I'll be trying to teach a class, and there he'll be, either distracting the person next to him, or asking a stupid question. I swear to god, he's the reason I drink.

Ahem. Anyway, Today was a normal day, me, standing at the front, trying to teach the class something. And then, right on queue, Jamie's hand comes flying up into the air.

"Yes Jamie?" I asked, pinching the bridge of my nose. This was going to be a long lesson.

"If angles on a triangle are one hundred and eighty degrees, then wouldn't it be hotter than an oven?"

I held back a huff. I was too tired for this. "No Jamie. It's degrees, not degrees celsius."

A collective giggle erupted from the class, my eyes shifted to Jamie, who wore a smug look on his face. God, did I want to slap it off. "Right. Listen to me Jamie." I stepped forward to make eye contact with him. "You have five months until your S.A.T.S. Unless you want to fail, I suggest you listen carefully."

I sharply turned back to the board and picked up the pen. "Honestly. Some of you are going to get a reality check when you hit secondary school." I took a deep breath and composed myself. "Now. We have ten minutes left of the lesson. So I'd like you to finish off the sheet." I ran my hands through my hair. Tugging at it slightly. I couldn't take it anymore. Once the students were hard at work, I opened the door and promptly left the classroom.

****

There's a storage cupboard down the hall. Sometimes, when the class is driving me around the bend, then I'll go inside and scream. It was soundproof, so no one could hear me. It was therapeutic and made me feel much better.

I took a deep breath and let out every single thought and emotion. My scream echoed bluntly across the room.

"What the hell!?" A voice gasped from behind me.

I spun around, face bright red. "I'm sorry. I just-" I breathed a sigh of relief when I realised it was just Brett, a fellow teacher.

"I thought you were getting murdered!" Brett wiped his brow.

"Yeah, I tend to do this when my class are being little shits." I awkwardly replied.

"Is it that Jamie kid?" Brett asked me.

"Yeah. He's been asking me the same question everyday for the past week." You leaned an elbow on a box and covered your face with your hand in exasperation. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, my class are working on autumn art." He held up a roll of paper with leaves on them.

"You're lucky you get to teach year two. I'm trying prepare ten to eleven year olds for S.A.T.S."

"Yeah, that sounds, pretty crappy." Brett rubbed the back of his neck.

"Yeah, well I should get back.Ive done my screaming."

"Yeah, I'll see you later then." Brett smiled nervously at me. I nodded to him, before opening the door and leaving.

****