Chapter Two

Adrie stood with her arms crossed as she watched her partner at work. The one-way glass displayed all information on the deviant they had caught earlier that night. Its stress levels, damaged biocomponents. It displayed Hank's information, as well. The man in question had his hands laced in front of him, leaning on the metal table.

Detective Reed stood beside her, with Officer Miller seated in front of her and Connor toward the back of the room. They all watched with bated breath as Hank interrogated the android.

"Why'd you kill him?" Hank questioned. His face remained aloof as he studied the android's reactions, "What happened before you took that knife?"

Adrie bit her bottom lip. Hank had been questioning the deviant for ten minutes now, and getting nowhere. Hank sighed, looking between the one-way glass and the deviant.

"How long were ya in the attic?" he asked, a bit louder, "Why didn't you even try to run away?"

The android remained unresponsive. It stared at the tabletop, unmoving and unwavering. Hank snapped twice in front of the android's face. The interrogation room was silent for a moment, then Hank slapped the table with his hand.

"Say something, goddamnit!" he exclaimed. The android didn't so much as flinch. Hank scoffed, standing from his chair, "Fuck it, I'm outta here."

Hank placed his hand on the scanner and the door slid open. A few seconds later and he was in the room with Adrie and the rest.

"We're wasting our time interrogating a machine, we're getting nothing out of it!" he stated, slumping into a chair beside Officer Miller. Adrie sighed, her arms falling to her sides.

"'Could always try roughing it up a little. After all, it's not human," Detective Reed suggested. Adrie chuckled.

"Androids don't feel pain. You would only damage it, and that wouldn't make it talk," Adrie said.

"Deviants also have a tendency to self-destruct when they're in stressful situations," Connor added. Detective Reed pushed himself off of the wall, glaring at Connor.

"Okay, smartass!" He paused, looking around the room, "What should we do then?"

"I could try questioning it," Connor suggested with a shrug. Adrie shook her head at the thought. Then Detective Reed let out a hearty laugh, returning to the wall. He shook his head in denial, his smile without humor.

"What do we have to lose?" Adrie said after a moment, releasing a deep sigh.  Detective Reed frowned. Hank looked to Adrie and nodded.

"Go ahead, suspect's all yours," he said to Connor. The android smirked, then looked to Adrie.

"Would you accompany me, Detective Baum?" he asked. Adrie sighed, then followed Connor as he led her to the interrogation room. As the door to the concrete cell slid open, a wave of anxiety hit the detective. What if the deviant self-destructed? Would anything bad be inflicted upon her? Adrie moved to the corner of the room as Connor flipped through a file on the table. The android seemed satisfied with the information he had gathered, then inspected the deviant.

The deviant was a bit tidier than when Adrie had first been introduced. Some of the dried blood had been wiped away, exposing the wounds lining his arms. The Thirium glowed along the interior of his forearms. What seemed to be cigarette burns graced his left arm, while a blunt force trauma lined his right.

Connor pulled out the chair that Hank had recently vacated and took a seat.

"You're damaged," he began. The deviant remained unresponsive, his eyes trained on the floor, "Did your owner do that? Did he beat you?"