Chapter Six

The three detectives stood in a run down elevator.  Adrie had her favorite jazz station playing through her left ear.  The elevator dinged as they passed another level of the building.  Their plan was to uncover a suspected deviant in this apartment complex, but Adrie knew it wasn't going to be that easy.

She occasionally glanced over at Connor.  His eyes were shut, with his LED glowing a soft yellow.  Hank stood in front of the two.  He was tapping his foot, eager to get off the lift.

Finally, the doors slid open.  Hank marched out of the lift.  Adrie threw a quick look at Connor before following the lieutenant.  She removed the earbud from her ear and stuffed it into her pocket.

"Hey Connor!" Hank called.  Adrie turned to see the android standing in the elevator.  Connor opened his eyes.  Adrie smirked.

"You run out of batteries?" she asked.  Connor smiled.

"I'm sorry, I was making a report to Cyberlife," he said.  Adrie nodded, turning to Hank.

    "Well, do you plan on staying in the elevator?" Hank asked Connor. 

    "No!" Connor said, "I'm coming."

    Hank shook his head.  Adrie waited for the android as Hank walked over to the suspect's room.

    "What do we know about this guy?" Hank called.

    "Not much.  Just that a neighbor reported that he heard strange noises coming from this floor.  Nobody's supposed to be living here, but the neighbor said he saw a man hiding a LED under his cap," Connor said.  He and Adrie made their way over to Hank.

    "Oh, Christ, if we had to investigate every time someone hears a strange noise, we're gonna need more cops," Hank groaned.  Connor knelt down next to a pile of feathers near the suspect's room.

    "Hey, were you really making a report back there in the elevator?  Just by closing your eyes?" Adrie asked.  Connor stood and joined the two detectives by the door.

    "Correct," the android answered. 

    "Shit, wish I could do that," Hank mumbled.  Connor approached the door and knocked three times.  No response.  He looked between Adrie and Hank, who both shrugged.  Connor knocked again, more forceful than before.

    "Anybody home?" he asked, "Open up!  Detroit police!"

    A skid of wood across concrete was heard beyond the door.  Connor stepped behind Adrie immediately.  She drew her pistol, as did her partner.

    "Stay back," Hank warned.

    "Got it," Adrie and Connor replied.  Adrie pushed the android behind her as Hank kicked open the door.  Hank stepped through the door, surveying the area.  Adrie followed.  She kept a hand behind her to ensure that Connor stayed out of trouble.  The trio entered a hallway.  The wallpaper was peeling, and an awful stench hung in the air.  Adrie covered her nose with her hand.

    Connor veered off into a room connected to the hallway, as did Hank.  Adrie pushed forward into the door straight ahead.

    A blockade of pigeons surprised her.  She yelped as a few flew past her.  The smell was even worse in the main room.

    "What the fuck is this?" Hank questioned from behind her, "Jesus, this place stinks."

    Adrie ignored her partner's complaints and began her investigation.  She waded through the ocean of birds to the other side of the room.  A kitchenette was placed against the wall.  A few unused cutlery and utensils were scattered on the counter tops.  She opened the cabinets and fridge to find only bird seed.  A few pigeons started to peck at her feet when she uncovered their food.  One even went so far to perch on her shoulder.  She brushed off the bird and continued her search.  Hank and Connor were investigating the left side of the room, so she pursued the right.