Chapter Three

Adrie sat at her desk in the police station.  Traces of dust covered the surface area, small wrappers from several pieces of candy were strewn about, and a single picture rested next to her computer.  Adrie was nursing a cup of coffee, the steam billowing from the mug and mixing with the air.  She loved the smell of coffee.  Authentic coffee, not the common, synthetic, cheap coffee she saw everywhere.  Real coffee smelt of freshly brewed Colombian beans.  It reminded her of waking up to a fresh cup everyday back in high school.

Adrie's fingers drummed on her desk.  Her eyes were fixed on her computer's monitor.  Information regarding past deviant cases filled the screen.  She mentally took note of the deviants who had yet to be found.  Music played through the earbuds nesting in her ears.  Smooth, liquid-like jazz flitted through her consciousness.  She softly hummed to the melody as she continued her research.

A hand waving in front of her face drew her attention away from the deviant files.  She looked up to see the detective android from yesterday.  She scowled.

"Good morning, Detective Baum," Connor said.  Adrie rolled her eyes and returned her gaze to her computer.  No android would distract her from her work.  She was just getting back into reading about some RK200 when she felt a tap on her shoulder.  She pulled her earbuds out and turned.  Connor was standing behind her, an expectant look on his face.

"What?" she questioned.

"I was wondering if you know where Lieutenant Anderson is," Connor said.  Adrie shrugged.

"Dunno, he's probably in some bar," she answered.  Connor nodded, looking around the station.

"Which desk is his?" Connor asked.  Adrie pointed behind her back to the one across the aisle from hers.

"That one, says his name and everything," she replied, then turned back to her computer.  She watched Connor move toward Hank's desk.  She smirked, knowing the reaction Hank would have toward the android at his desk.

Adrie took a sip from her coffee.  She replaced her earbuds in her ears then continued working.  The RK200 seemed to have belonged to a Manfred, Carl.  Escaped after assaulting the son of its owner.  She delved deeper into the file.  She had heard of this Manfred before, but couldn't place the name.

In her periphery, she saw Connor pick up an MP12 and headphones off of Hank's desk.

"You really shouldn't touch that," she called over.  Connor immediately shut off the device and placed it back on the desk.  Adrie was curious, so she continued to watch the android.  He touched something on the desk.

"Call Hank Anderson," he said.  Hank's voicemail recording answered Connor.  Adrie sighed.

"Lieutenant Anderson?  This is Connor, I'm the android sent by Cyberlife.  It's almost noon and I'm waiting for you at the office.  Detective Baum is expecting you," Connor said.  Adrie groaned.

"No, don't even remotely imply I sent you," she said.  Connor nodded.

"Detective Baum is no longer expecting you," he corrected, then pressed a button to end the call.  He continued to look around Hank's desk.  Adrie got bored watching him.  She turned up the volume of her music and continued working. 

Apparently, this RK200 was owned by famous artist and creator, Carl Manfred.  The android was a gift to the artist from creator of Cyberlife, Elijah Kamski.  Manfred's son was visiting him and the RK200 attacked.  Typical deviant behavior.

"It's good to see you again, Lieutenant."

Adrie smirked and peered over her monitor.  Hank had arrived at work.