─03.

MEMORIES MADE MY SKIN CRAWL: uneventful and painful spasm of damage rooting itself in the depth of bones, and the sweet remnant-which had also turned bitter-stung at my tongue

MEMORIES MADE MY SKIN CRAWL: uneventful and painful spasm of damage rooting itself in the depth of bones, and the sweet remnant-which had also turned bitter-stung at my tongue. Happy times consisted of beautiful laughs and grinning faces, and I found myself being stuck in a trance with no way out. The misery still spoke the loudest; clenched hands, acid tears and derailed thoughts-and I was slowly starting to come to terms with how this longingness for something I couldn't ever have was to never be gone.

Recollections forever remained a paradox. Bitter and sweet, fire and ice, all things opposite and potent.

It had been mere days, and I was happier, content, and smiling, like the perfect visages found on televisions and advertisements. I knew I didn't deserve it. Not after what I had done. Stella introduced me to Chloe-blonde sweetheart with the passion of a whole country combined-and it felt weird accepting the fact that memories were made even when I wanted anything but.

I thought about it once, twice, even thrice. I wasn't supposed to go spiraling down these thoughts in the middle of the cobblestone-paved road which led its way to the new hellhole I had found, but I couldn't help the surge of thoughts. I was lost, deterred and noncommittal-the worst kind of mix on a busy and bustling road-but hey, at least I was self-aware.

So, when the loud honk blared from a side, I almost jumped.

Jesus Christ.

Holding onto a meek breath, I turned around. Two windows rolled down simultaneously, and Leo's head bopped outwards like I was a long-lost friend of his. Soon it was Xavier's turn, black twisted curls hanging from the window before his classic grin reached me, and I blew another breath. Lord.

I averted my gaze from the two over-enthusiasts with a polite wave to a laid back-almost dead-person sitting beside Xavier, and immediately wanted to roll my eyes. I had almost forgotten how Xavier and Leo were his friends, too; and hanging out with them meant hanging out with him.

"Hey Laura! Come on. We can give you a ride."

I saw that coming.

"No, it's alright!"

"We're going there, too. Energy saved is energy conserved, right?"

I chuckled. Did he just quote our physics book? "It's fi-"

Another honk. I had forgotten about him-again-and it wasn't helping how he was driving. His head was titled onto the windowpane, eyes propelled to the other side. A hand cupped his jaw when he turned to my direction, and I could see his mouth twitch upwards in a grin.

My eyes seemed stuck.

He didn't grin. Instead, he seemed to roll his eyes before honking again. An impulse wanted me to punch the sucker in the face, but I ended up walking to Leo's side. I needed that energy throughout classes more than putting him in place.