─16.

"I'M TIRED AS HELL," Chloe yawned, putting her face in her hands

"I'M TIRED AS HELL," Chloe yawned, putting her face in her hands. We were all sitting in the reception, and Evan had disappeared to get us our room keys. Nobody talked much after the beach, especially Evan and I-and the tiredness made me feel like my sanity was not a part of me anymore. The more I talked to him, the more at peace I became-but never knowing what anyone's true intentions were anymore, my heart wasn't ready to be scathed so soon.

I blamed my lack of interaction on the silver wave of exhaustion on my limbs. Everybody was barely conscious, and we did look like we had survived an apocalypse, so we chose to rest for the night and call it a day.

Evan came striding down to us, waving a bunch of keys. He threw two bunches of them to Raymond and Xavier respectively, and the key plopped off the former's body. Xavier caught it one hand and muttered the bare minimum, eyes glossed.

"Divide yourselves."

Nobody wanted to do the math.

The conclusions for potential roommates surfaced ten minutes too late, and nobody had it in them to fight when we bumbled up the staircases. Stella and I shared a room, and Chloe had one all to herself, right in front of ours. She had already promised us that she'd visit us in a while, before winking and strutting down the other side of the hallway.

Evan seemed all too happy, grinning when I apologized for bumping into him on accident.

"Call me if you need anything."

I had nodded, grabbing Stella's hand and entering our room. I had figured that I could get ready to sleep-even though it was nowhere near my bedtime at 7:30 P.M.-but the fatigue was toying with my senses, almost making me seem drunk. But before I could pull the duvet over my head and compensate for the numerous midnight endeavors in the past, Stella plopped herself right next to me.

She had different plans.

"It's not nighttime, girl," she grinned. "and you aren't sleeping."

I opened my mouth to retort back, but the door opening stole my attention away. Chloe had walked right in, too many snacks in her hands. "We also have to go get dinner, remember? Priorities, my love."

I rolled my eyes, shifting to make space for them. Chloe pushed the bag of chips in my face when Stella swatted her arm away, eyes deadly. "Laura, tell me: how has this school and city been to you?"

I rose an eyebrow. Funny enough, I had thought about this question every day my nightmares took a turn-and for the better. "Good! I didn't think I'd make any friends," I laughed, "but here we are, I guess."

"Damn right. And we-"

My phone started to ring. It was Evan.

I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes, since we had last met less than an hour ago. What could he possibly want now? "Hello?"