─28.

"SO," HE TILTED HIS HEAD JUST A LITTLE, AND I HAD WANDERED OFF TO THE POSSIBILITY OF HIM BEING BOTH THE DEVIL AND THE ARCHANGEL—like violent melodies still capable of lulling the ears

"SO," HE TILTED HIS HEAD JUST A LITTLE, AND I HAD WANDERED OFF TO THE POSSIBILITY OF HIM BEING BOTH THE DEVIL AND THE ARCHANGEL—like violent melodies still capable of lulling the ears. "What is it that you want me to do?"

Quite frankly, neither did I know and nor could I bother to think. With no project as an excuse to my presence at his place in the first place, a bizarre heat surged through my chest at the mere thought of just about anything. "That's. . .something we still need to figure out," I said with a silly grin, to which he laughed.

"Okay, then," he was still standing a couple steps away, hands tucked in his pockets and hair a disoriented mess. "Let's play twenty questions."

I narrowed my eyes. "What?"

He shrugged. "Do you have something better in mind?"

I did not. I had nothing up my sleeve at all, and uneasiness sat at the bottom of my stomach for a reason I didn't even want to know. So, I just sighed. "What if I don't want to answer the question?"

"We haven't even started," he rolled his eyes. "Be a little optimistic, Edwards."

I know. I could, but something about the atmosphere had drastically changed, and so had the glint in his eye. "Fine," I managed to say, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear. "You go first."

He smiled. "Dogs or cats?"

"Both," I thought, and then: "no, dogs. How about you?"

"Me too," he replied, and then proceeded to walk out of the room, flicking two fingers in the air, a way of signaling me to follow. "Then I guess you'd like meeting Daisy."

The door closed softly behind me, and I rose a confused brow. "Who's—wait."

A big Labrador stood in front of us at the bottom of the stairs, wagging its tail relentlessly. My mouth had parted seconds before I could even let anything make sense, and I found myself punching Evan's arm lightly. "You did not tell me you have a pet!"

"Well, now you know," he had said with a couple more phrases following that, but I couldn't care less as I rushed past the stairs to pet Daisy—the cutest little (not so little) dog I had ever seen. "Oh my God!"

I could sense the roll of his eyes from meters away. "Guess she likes you," someone said, and my movements halted at the sound: a voice way softer and definitely not Evan's. I glanced up, eyes meeting a pair similar to the blue ones I let myself get lost in more often than not. A girl. Shorter, definitely younger, and lips twitched in the smallest smile. "Laura, right?"

"Oh, right," Evan walked beside me, the action causing his arm to brush past mine. "This is Evelyn, my sister. Evelyn, this is Laura."

"Hello, Evelyn," I waved politely at a girl who looked at her brother like she wanted to stab him, pure fury tugging at her features. "I. . .didn't know you had a sister."