chapter 2

Hayley.

"So...if I was an elf where would I be?"

Judging by Serena's face, that was probably a stupid question, but seriously who the heck knew where to find an elf when you wanted one?

"Firstly, you're half elf now, Hails, so there's no 'if' about it, and secondly, did you think we'd just drive around shouting out elf until one magically appeared?"

She gave me those eyes that suggested I may be slightly lower on the IQ scale than she'd originally thought and so I smiled brightly in response, knowing that she'd be forced to feel guilty about her snarky behaviour and end up apologising instead. One day I'll be queen of the whole world, having smiled and pouted my way to the top and I'll make her my court jester and she'll have to poof fire just for my entertainment.

Lost in my own little fantasy, I almost missed her grudging huff and short apology.

"I hate it when you do that," She sighed.

I grinned. "I know, but you'd look so pretty in those big spiky hats with the bells on."

Serena screwed her face up at me in question - a have you gone slightly mad kind of question.

"That was mostly in my head but we should just move past it anyway," I grimaced at her, not willing to share my little fantasy.

Serena snorted, "Okay, Gypsy, keep your crazy secrets. Besides, I have a plan to find the elf and it involves someone much more insane than you possibly are."

Shoot. She was totally about to get me almost killed again. I started the car, my foot tapping against the accelerator in preparation. "Are we going to get Grams?" Because there was no one more insane than that psycho witch.

She grinned at me and shook her head. "Oh no, much worse than Grams."

I sucked in a worried breath. "Is there such a person?" I'd seen that old lady strip naked, cover herself in chocolate syrup, and run through the public streets of town after one particular Soltice screaming that she was the reincarnation of Lady Godiva. I fail to see what witch could possibly tip the scale in their favour after that.

Serena only chuckled with glee. "We're going to see Endora."

I gasped, blinking my wide eyes at her smiling face. "Oh, the heck, no."

She grinned wider. "Get going, Hails."

"Fuck off, PG."

She laughed again which made me think she really wasn't listening to me. Well, unlucky for her, because I was driving and therefore, if she wanted to go see that witch then she'd be walking or I'd like to see her physically remove me from this car and steal it.

*******************************

Twenty minutes later, after some heated discussion, near-asphyxiation from glitter poofing, and some rabid hair pulling, I was angrily tapping my fingers against the steering wheel as Lucian attempted a calming nudge of his tail to my cheek. Sneaky little lizard had crept up the back of the driver's seat and lost himself in my now ragged hair, using the mass of tangles to his advantage and was now safely ensconced in his own personal hair-nest.

Honestly, I'd really missed my lizard, and so for once I didn't try and flick him off over my butt hurt feelings. After having lost the fight to Serena, it was nice to have someone on my side who probably would have agreed with me in thinking that this was a stupid idea and we shouldn't set one foot on Endora's property. Not least because the old bat probably had the whole place rigged with traps for unwanted visitors.