She Called Me Verbally Abusive (2011-2018)

This is a story more centered on the friendship between us, and it's a story worth telling.

Meet the players:

Myself

Isabelle: Shared a love for the stage, but was more introverted. She has an insane amount of talent for it, and is easily a triple threat.

Lucas: Like me, is extremely extroverted and devoted to acting. His dad's a cop. He constantly tells us how rough he has it home.

So, I met Isabelle at the community theatre Christmas 2011. I did "It's a Wonderful Life: the Musical. She came outta nowhere. She lived an hour away from the theatre (an hour and a half from my house), so the only time I got to see her was at the theatre. When you got her talking, she had a great personality. She had such a kind heart. I remember fondly of her growing a virtual zoo on her mom's phone, and she went to all the little kids and had them grow and name a virtual animal. It was really minor, but I couldn't stop thinking of how generous that was. Anyways.

We didn't talk much during that show, but our story truly starts during Grease, when we did it at the theatre in 2015.

I was portraying as Sonny, and she was our Cha-Cha. The show was double-casted, so in the other cast she was Frenchie.

During this show, we got close. A couple of our friends hung out together during every rehearsal, and we ended up naming our group, The Sexy Six. In retrospect, it was a silly thing, and we kept trying to defend ourselves for being exclusive by saying "we were just good friends for a while".

Anyways, so the Sexy Six is what brought us close. It's funny how the Sexy Six brought us closer together, but at the same time, we pulled ourselves away from everyone else.

For the most of the Sexy Six, I tried to get with Sarah (see Felt Bad for Me), and Lucas tried to get with Isabelle.

We told everything to each other. When I needed Sarah advice, she was there. When I needed any other kind of moral help, she was there. She was always there for me, and it means the world to me, even to this day. Even if we aren't the best of friends to this day, I still thank her for being there. No one else was. No one else is.

Years go by, and we send pics, songs, and ideas to each other. We had a great bond - I haven't been that close and trusting to anyone else outside my family. I had no intention of dating her, it was just nice to know someone cared about you and loved you and wanted you to be happy. It's nice to know that there is someone out there who will stand up for you because you're you. That's probably the most touching thing to me. Isabelle was that person.

Senior year, when I declared that SCT's How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying would be my last production at the community theatre (spoiler alert, it wasn't really my last. Keep reading), it immediately became emotional for us. Granted, the Sexy Six disbanded when a couple of our members slept with college students and others took too much pride to his head, but we still remained friends. We were just more...inclusive.

For the duration of the show, it was Isabelle, Lucas, and I side by side (by side). Lucas redeveloped his crush on Isabelle, and she took the bait. Near the end of the show, they started dating, and I unexpectedly became the third wheel. After that, there seemed to be a change.

Besides the relationship status, everything about the situation seemed hostile. I couldn't talk to Isabelle alone anymore. Lucas was breathing down her neck 24/7. I didn't realize it at first, but I had lost my go-to friend. I couldn't trust her anymore.

Not just that, but she became colder, even to her closer friends. She got offended by things easier, and when I confronted her about it, she got defensive. The defense was always there, but with Lucas by her side, it seemed heightened.