Chapter 3//Double Trouble

CHAPTER 3  
"Steve?!" a voice cried out for him, shaking him from his sleep. Except, he wasn't awake, or was he? He gulped at the sight of a demogorgon mowing down on something just meters away, suddenly making his blood pressure shoot through the roof.

No.

Shit! 

Steve was on the ground tangled in vines from the walls of the upside down, so he scrambled to his feet, frantically brushing debris from his jacket and jeans, and began sprinting through the tunnels. They turned this way and that, making Steve's legs ache. He felt like he was swinging instead of running. Little floaties in the air blurred his vision, but when he heard an animalistic growl from behind him, he ran like his life depended on it, jumping over shrapnel along the floor of the tunnels and under hanging vines. His eyes began to burn.

He didn't have time to think, before he felt his body fly forwards and and fall face to the floor, something cracking beneath him. His face burned, knowing he was bruised and bloody already, but he felt something even worse.

The claw of a being crushed his legs, forcing a blood curdling scream from his dry lips. He had never felt such pain, the feeling of fire licking at his legs took over; he felt desperate. Tears pricking at his sore eyes.

God, he was so scared. He was alone, and in pain, and terrified that the beast above him would kill him. Fighting tears of fear that pooled in his eyes became too difficult.

The beast flipped him onto his back, his legs flopping to and fro, with a force so strong and then bared it's ugly floral mouth at Steve. Steve started screaming for all his worth, the teeth getting closer and closer, feeling his throat burn.

He couldn't die! What about the kids?! What about hopper?

The sound of a telephone ringing erupted around him, bringing him back to the couch in his living room. Steve stared at the phone bewildered and shaken. He was drenched with sweat and his chest was rising and falling at an unnatural speed.

It was dark out, but that didn't stop Steve's wild eyes from making out everything in the room, his senses were heightened. He went from impending doom, to being awoken by a phone in his room. His nightmares were intensifying, and that was not good; they were too real to begin with.

Steve picked up the phone with shaky hands, and didn't respond. He didn't know if he could find his voice.

"Harrington?" It was Lucas, he sounded unsure.

"What's up Sinclair?" He breathed, taking in his surroundings and stripping his damp shirt from his body.

"Are you okay?" Lucas questioned. Steve sat upright then, glancing at his wrist watch on the coffee table that read 4:13 am. He rubbed his eyes and held his head in his hands.

"Yeah," he lied, trying to calm himself down. "The phone just startled me, is all".

"Oh, sorry, I just...I wanted to ask a favour," the boy on the line admitted bashfully. Steve's Maternal instincts took over, no longer was he thinking of his own nightmare, but he was eager to hear what the boy needed from him.

"Sure, kid, what's up?" Steve asked, standing from the couch to stretch, he felt aching in his legs from where the demogorgon had stood on him, making it feel that more real.

"Well, things at Max's house aren't going so well, and I was just wondering, since your parents are out of town right now..."Lucas was beating around the bush, something that pissed Steve off to no end, and the kids were so bad with it.

"Dude, spit it out," He demanded, feeling a headache coming on.

"S-sorry, I was just wondering if she could, you know, stay with you for a couple days," he finally got out.