Chapter 10//California Girl

Chapter 10

 Billy awoke to the sound of his father slamming the front door shut. He didn't even wince anymore, even if the concert posters on his wall shook from the impact, threatening to fall off. 

Through the paper thin walls, he could hear Max open her mother's bedroom door and console her as she wept. His father had come home drunk, slapped his step mother, then left, all in the span of half an hour. 

And that was normal for him. Billy awaited his father that evening, expecting to be hit for some stupid reason or another, but had fallen asleep. 

He thought his step mother was an idiot, and didn't feel much pity for her, but he wondered about Max. His father had never laid a hand on her, but Billy had fought to keep that so, even to the point where his father mocked him for protecting the girl. 

But she was rarely home anymore, thanks to Steve and his minions, and because of that, he got the brunt of the beatings.  

He couldn't get back to sleep with that insufferable crying in the adjacent room, so he got up and perched on the front deck, lighting a cigarette. The air bit at his cheeks, making him resent the weather in Hawkins.

He missed the endless summer of California, how he could walk around with a shirt hanging from  his jeans if need be, or how he could escape his father by surfing and going on joyrides. There was so much to do, unlike this dingy place.

He noticed how most of the people that lived here, hated living here. How most people dreamed of leaving, or felt depressed staying here. He felt drained of life.

The front door slowly swung open, he didn't turn to look who came out, and closed. He glared at the house across the road, hearing as light footsteps neared him. 

"Hey..." Max said quietly, as if she spoke any louder, he'd snap on her. 

Billy's hard gaze met Max's. She bit her lip, playing with a tuft of auburn hair. They hadn't had the best times together, and he knew his temper and skepticism had driven her away for the most part. 

"What was up with you and Steve at lunch?" She bravely asked. 

Ever since he had almost killed Steve just for finding her with him, she was cautious around him. She had threatened him, that night, making him promise to keep out of her life, and so he did. 

"Why," he grumbled. He was embarrassed for some stupid reason, to have fought for Steve to be on the team. Ever since Harrington had selflessly  taken him home after being publicly humiliated by his dad, he felt some sort of foreign tug in his chest, and he hated it.

"W-well, Steve said it was nothing," she began, keeping a good distance between them. "But he looked conflicted. We're a bit worried about him".

Billy looked at her then, watching the way she fiddled like a child in trouble. "Why're yah worried 'bout him?"

He caught the way her eyes widen a bit, like she had said something she shouldn't have, he saw her calculating her next words like her life depended on it, and he wasn't so sure it was because she was scared of him. There was something more to the way she held her tongue.

"U-h well..." she began. "he's just been a bit off since..." her eyes widened a bit more, like she couldn't find a cover, and it seemed like her fiery hair frizzed under the stress. 

"Since what, Max?" Billy prodded, hoping she'd crumble. 

Seeming to collect herself, somewhat and much to Billy's dismay, she met his gaze once again, "Since his parents left a couple weeks ago".